Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
:blowtiedb:I would like to have a discussion on exhaust systems what makes them sound the way they do. I have had some good experinces with my 55 chevy. I am working on another car with a chevy motor in it. I used 2 1/2 inch pipe on the car with flowmaster super 44's on it At idle the car sounds fantastic. However at 40-50 miles an hour there is a drone inside the car. I know there is something we can do to eliminate this. It might be a bend or something. I would like to see if we can identify what makes this happen so we can eliminate it. The size of pipe, size of muffler, short headers verse full headers.

·
Registered
153 Posts
You might try adding a resonator after the muffler. Or just a higher flow restricting muffler.
I've always believe Loud Pipes Save Lives!

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Exhaust

The car has a "H" pipe. I have used resonators in the past, it takes all the sound away. Is the position of the H important?

·
Registered
770 Posts
I got a tip from a exhaust guy, that if you put your muffler as far back as possible it would eliminate some off the sound inside the car.

I havent tried it myself.

The fartherer back the muffler is in the system the quieter the car will be. The closer the muffler is to the header, the louder it will be.

Phil

1 - 8 of 8 Posts