Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a website where you can plug in different mufflers to the same engine and exhaust system so you can compare the sound? Same microphone, same set-up, same everything. Too many variables in you-tube videos to make a decent comparison.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Great idea and marketing tool. But does that thing actually work???? I can't find a video of it running, let alone switching mufflers. You'd think Magnaflow would have a nice big link on their website to listen to it's products.

Kind of like a show-car that has to be pushed into the showroom cuz it doesn't have any pistons in the engine.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Bummer. I had hoped someone knew a better way to compare exhaust sounds online. Guess the best way is to go to a rod run and ask lots of guys what they are using, then hope for the best on my stock 56.

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
Bummer. I had hoped someone knew a better way to compare exhaust sounds online. Guess the best way is to go to a rod run and ask lots of guys what they are using, then hope for the best on my stock 56.
Hearing some different mufflers in person is the only way to actually hear what one is going to sound like. A video's sound is only as good as the recording equipment used...and most You Tube videos and those put out by manufacturers do not use high quality audio recording equipment so the sound isn't actually 'true' to what it is like in real life.

One other thing if going to a rod run be sure and note the exhaust size also as it can have a bearing on the sound even with the same type muffler...what sounds good on a car with 2 1/2'' exhaust may not sound as good on a car with 2'' exhaust...

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
GR, point taken. Good advice.

Jim, thanks for the link. Very helpful in setting a ballpark to understand what I'll be listening to when so-and-so says he's running a (fill in the blank).

Thanks, guys! :tu

·
Administrator
49,481 Posts
And the exhaust will not sound the same unless it is on an engine built just like you have. My exhaust, the same one i have since having the 57 back on the road doesn`t sound the same as it did when it was first done with the engine that was in it. After an engine swap was done about 2yrs ago, same engine except this one has a cam and is bored, it sounds different.
Terry

·
Registered
399 Posts
And the exhaust will not sound the same unless it is on an engine built just like you have. My exhaust, the same one i have since having the 57 back on the road doesn`t sound the same as it did when it was first done with the engine that was in it. After an engine swap was done about 2yrs ago, same engine except this one has a cam and is bored, it sounds different.
Terry
Yep, a friend ran the 70's vintage Thrush mufflers on his '55 and they sounded terrific when the idle was smooth. Then he changed the cam for a little more lope. At idle the mufflers sounded like a coffee percolator. Horrible!

If you hear a car that sounds good, talk to the owner and get the lowdown on what they're running. It's the only way to get what you want.

·
Registered
6,968 Posts
I agree with Terry, engine is what makes the sound...mufflers just change the tone of it.

·
Registered
629 Posts
I don't think the truck works. I saw the TV show where they built it and it didn't appear to work when completed. Good to look at though.

·
Registered
3,392 Posts
I agree with all the comments about pipe size, engine type, cam, heads, headers etc..

As for a desired tone, it's really subjective. I've ended up going full circle over the past 15 years.. starting out with Walker Super Turbo's, moving on to both Flowmaster Delta 40's and 50's (the latter being best IMO). I even ran Edelbrock SDT's and Summit Racing turbos for a short time.

Then I got old.

I wanted a more quiet cabin at all RPM's. I'm now using Dynomax Super Turbo's (large case), and can say they are certainly the most quiet inside the car, yet have a nice rumble to continue to cause small animals to run for cover, and mothers to gather and protect their children ..:)

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
i've run some 40 series flowmasters 2.5" and changed only one thing, the header. and even that made a big difference in the sound. had some block huggers with 2.5 collectors, and found some used full length headers that were 3" collectors. motor sounded way different same muffler, same basic configuration all sbc at the time. no cross over pipe. but right now i like the cherry bombs with the bbc i'm running

1 - 18 of 18 Posts