Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

** Exhaust System Install

3K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  1971BB427 
#1 ·
I’m trying to install a 2.5” magnaflow exhaust system on my 55 Bel Air. I have patriot headers installed. The passenger side header is 1/2” higher & will not allow the x-pipe to meet correctly. It’s all on a 350 Chev with side engine mounts. Anyone ever come across this?

#2 ·
It is very common for a pair of headers, even high end ones (which doesn't include Patriots) to have the collector or outlet significantly different height one side vs. the other. Or a significantly different lateral location.

The solution is to get a muffler shop to make a small length of pipe with bends in it to allow a proper installation.

This is the problem with a "universal" exhaust system. They don't really fit everything.

#5 ·
I simply cut and weld as needed to correct for inconsistencies between kits and the cars they go on. Kits are rarely going to be a perfect fit for every car, so if you have a mig or tig welder, you can "adjust" them to work.
On numerous builds I've bought kits for '68-'72 Chevelles, and simply cut the various pipe pieces and welded them back together to get what I needed. These kits are cheaper than a "universal" exhaust kit, and much easier to rework, than to build a universal kit.
This was a Jegs '68-'72 Chevelle 2.5" kit I used to build the exhaust system on my '39 Chev coupe. A whopping $175, and I had pipe leftover when completed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.