Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did some searching but couldn't find the answer. Stock exhaust on 57 w/283. Passenger side has the valve/ butterfly that opens when the engine warms up. My temp spring is not operating this function but it actions by hand in both directions. I want to leave it wide open. Which way is wide open? Thanks!!

·
Premium Member
19,668 Posts
Did some searching but couldn't find the answer. Stock exhaust on 57 w/283. Passenger side has the valve/ butterfly that opens when the engine warms up. My temp spring is not operating this function but it actions by hand in both directions. I want to leave it wide open. Which way is wide open? Thanks!!
jeff

heres link <data on this> http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...roCYBg&usg=AFQjCNGCzUJQEjb7M7z08ps1UHkCPNnluw

<Up is wide open I believe.>

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Down is open on the heat riser. The spring expands and lets the weight droop down, and exhaust pressure keeps it there. As the spring cools, the weight rises. Just went for a drive to confirm, but I already confirmed when I put it on.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Bobby, that was some sacrifice brother! Taking a test drive to confirm! Ha, thanks man! I would like to fiddle with it to see if I can reconnect it to the spring. Looks like the spring is there, just need time! Don't we all!

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
I do what I can to help out, even going so far as going for a drive! You should fix the riser or get a replacement, it's better if it's working rather than propped open.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts