Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to put my '56Wagon back togeather and the Tailgate is kicking my A** and I need help ! Are there wheels inside the rear quarter Pnls. for the Cables to ride in? ANY help welcome ! Thanks, Tim
:confused0024:

·
Registered
8,875 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks LUGNUT ! I think I can get some yardage out of this info.
Thanks! Tim
:beer:

·
Registered
8,259 Posts
I am trying to put my '56Wagon back togeather and the Tailgate is kicking my A** and I need help ! Are there wheels inside the rear quarter Pnls. for the Cables to ride in? ANY help welcome ! Thanks, Tim
:confused0024:
It's been some time since I put my '56 tailgate together so my recollection isn't perfect. The "wheel" you are talking about, if we are on the same page, is actually a bracket that gets mounted with 2 screws on the inside area, near the curved part of the panel, in front of the taillight. On the right side, with the taillight housing removed, you should be able to see it attached to the panel. The left side, because of the gas line tube from there to the tank, makes it more difficult to see and get to. If you look up underneath the rear quarter panel, you might be able to see these brackets if they are attached. I don't think you can reach them from that position though and you do have to go in from the taillight housing area. I believe the purpose of these brackets would be to supply a smooth, secure route of the cable as it goes from being straight, to around the panel curve and eventually to the tailgate. These are definitely necessary or you might have a problem with the retraction. If you have them off already, take a look at them and you'll see how the cable feeds through them. Make a mental note because when reinstalling them, you're not going to see much with your hand/arm in the way. You'll have to do alot by feel. Once you have the cables secured properly, put a little white grease on the cable/bracket. It will help with the movement. Try the passenger side one first. That's the easier one of the two. Not difficult to do, but you do need patience. You also might want to try the search button. I think there might be some prior threads on this. Sorry, don't have any pics, Carmine.

·
Registered
8,259 Posts
The more I think about it longroof, I do believe I saw on this site a pic of a Nomad that had the rear quarter cut away. It was a great pic and showed every part of the cable from the retractor to the tailgate. I think it might be the same on all wagons with a liftgate/tailgate. Might be worth a search or maybe a member can recall and post it for you.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Earlier post mentioned coil spring. My nomad does not have a spring. The tailgate does not go down to level. Could no spring be my problem?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts