Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My new Chevy crate engine arrived the other day & in the crate was this Chevy intake manifold # 10185063.
In all the photos of the engine there were no passenger side shots so I was surprised to see the two extra holes on the left side of the manifold.
I have no idea what they are for besides water and don't know how to block them off which would look awful in my opinion.
Any ideas? :) Danny

·
Registered
37,969 Posts
I'm not sure about two holes, looks like more.

Forgetting about the mounting holes, which should be obvious, starting at the left, the hole above the mounting holes goes into the water passage, and it's probably pipe thread. Usually you would plug it. Next is a set of holes for an EGR valve that would be the normal configuration for 80s vehicles with EGR. I'm not sure what the one in the center under the carb is about, but it goes into the exhaust crossover passage. Maybe it's an alternate way to plumb EGR. At the front, it looks like there are 3 pipe threaded ports in the crossover water passage in addition to the thermostat housing.

For what you want to do, you should probably be blocking the exhaust passages and sealing them with gaskets. You can use the water passages for your heater hose return, a temperature gauge sender or switch, or plug them.

Not sure whether the middle one in the front goes into water or not, but you should be able to tell. Maybe it's to mount something which you may not need.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
What my concern is the two shiny milled areas with 3 holes total, just below the carburetor. I'll contact the dealer I bought the engine from Monday and hopefully I can exchange it for one without the two extra holes. If no exchange is possible I'll get a high rise air flow one with a little bling to it and EBay this one. Thanks, :) Danny

·
Premium Member
7,631 Posts
under caeb holes

The holes under the carb are for a divorced choke. A thermoststic coil sits inside with a pate covering it and a choke rod sticks thru the top that attaches to the choke on a quadrejet carb.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The holes under the carb are for a divorced choke. A thermostatic coil sits inside with a pate covering it and a choke rod sticks thru the top that attaches to the choke on a quadrajet carb.
Thanks 56 owner for clarifying what I have. It won't be going on this engine.
Can't understand why it was with this crate engine as it recommends a Holley 670 CFM carburetor.
Thanks for the help, :) Danny

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
well, they recomended the holley because it will bolt right on. the choke can be hooked up and the triangular milled spot to the left of the choke is for an EGR valve. your nearest speed shop or auto zone or such will have a block off plate . no, it won't look fancy but, it will be MUCH cheaper than buying a new manifold. unless you just want to buy a new manifold.......

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
A. Holley, Carter, Edelbrock, Thermoquad, Q-Jet, all will fit.
B. water temp gauge sender or capilarry tube.
C. thermostat
D. Plug it.
E. Heater hose nipple goes here.
F. divorced choke coil goes here.
G. EGR valve or block off plate.
H. Vacuum nipple
I. could be heater hose but plug it.
J. Distributor goes here.
K. ignition coil bracket bolts here.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
Seems they just include a fit-all intake so you can use it in about anything...
They should drop the price a little and say, "Intake sold seperately" so you can get what you want up front...

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
A. Holley, Carter, Edelbrock, Thermoquad, Q-Jet, all will fit.
B. water temp gauge sender or capilarry tube.
C. thermostat
D. Plug it.
E. Heater hose nipple goes here.
F. divorced choke coil goes here.
G. EGR valve or block off plate.
H. Vacuum nipple
I. could be heater hose but plug it.
J. Distributor goes here.
K. ignition coil bracket bolts here.
Thanks Gary for the diagram and descriptions, very helpful.
I'll take it to Auto Zone and see what blocking plates are available and if they will look good enough to use this manifold.
Thanks for all the help :tu :tu Danny

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I took it over to Austins Promax Performance and after a half hour of talking to the parts guy I decided to sell the manifold and buy This one.

If anyone is interested in buying the Chevy Crate one in my original post please PM me. :) Danny

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Good move.

Danny, your car looks too nice to have anything BUT a polished intake! IMHO. :) JIM.

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
is that the chineze or the edelbrock air gap ?

I took it over to Austins Promax Performance and after a half hour of talking to the parts guy I decided to sell the manifold and buy This one.

If anyone is interested in buying the Chevy Crate one in my original post please PM me. :) Danny

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Edelbrock would be my first choice but... this one is less than 1/2 the price.
I think it's an import. :) Danny

1 - 15 of 15 Posts