Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok how many of you guys have extra sets of keys for your cars? I'm bettin about everybody, but me. For the wife's car sure I have a key and she has a key, but for my van and truck 1 set (dumb) but didn't think I needed them. Tonight I got off work walked to my van, no keys. Started looking everywhere, retracing steps etc. Dang it I wanted to go home! Went back in work and got a flashlight, luckily I found them on the ground right in front of the van, they had been run over but ok. I dropped them when I came back from lunch, very lucky indeed, because I only have the one set. Why? Tomorrow I fix this extra keys little magnetic box thingy. I have never lost my car keys but I am getting older.

:sign0020:

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Key thingy.

Randy, when my wife and I first got married, she was continually locking her keys in the car. I always had to come and "bail her out" with my keys. I thought I'd help the situation and buy her one of those little magnetic key boxes. I told her to put it on the car somewhere so she'd have it in case she locked the keys in the car again. Guess where she put it? Yep, under the front seat. She's blonde. :) JIM.

·
Premium Member
1,401 Posts
bail her out.

bail her out.

same thing here, solution, ONSTAR.

·
Registered
66,324 Posts
I have extra sets made for anything that i own. Extra keys are a lot cheaper than a locksmith.
Terry
me too terry. cheap insurance. :cool0010:

·
Registered
116 Posts
The nice thing about our Trifive keys are that they are small and flat. I keep one in my wallet, and have had to use it several times.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Need to get another one made for my 55, only have the one, locked out once, but I have AAA. My tahoe and F150 have keyless entry, so no worries there, but do have extras for them.

·
Premium Member
8,575 Posts
In the past 3 years, I replaced my sons keys at least 4 times, he wouldn't lock them in his car, he'd just lose them, so to keep him from being stranded, I also purchased him one of those hide-a-key things, put an extra set of keys in it, put it under his car, showed him where it was. About 3 months later, he comes to me and says, hey Dad, I lost my keys again... so I said, hey, don't forget, you've got another set under your car, just use those until we order you another set, to which he replied, that's the set I lost... geeezzzz, can't win for losin', he's also blonde...

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
50,394 Posts
Randy....Being an old man and having a tendency to get side tracked now and again.....This has happened to me a few times....I always buy a wallet with two key holders in it....One key for the house and the other for the car.

Of course, if you lock your wallet and keys in the car, all bets are off.

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
I have extra sets made for anything that i own. Extra keys are a lot cheaper than a locksmith.
Terry
I have extra keys for all my '57s. but I do not carry them with me or have them stashed on the vehicle. If need be, I give the extra set to my girlfriend Debbie to hold on to while we're out.

I do have extra keys for my '86 Monte Carlo stashed on the car. Only cause the guy I bought it from left them stashed on the car. And there's been a time or two I misplaced the keys to the car. So the spares came in handy.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
A LOT OF PEOPLE KNOW ABOUT THE MAGNETIC BOXES & WILL LOOK FOR THEM,,ON TRI-FIVES WITHOUT A LOCKING HOOD LATCH A GREAT PLACE TO HID THE KEY IS IN THE AIR CLEANER,,OK NOW YOU KNOW WHERE MINE ARE ,,,DICK:wavey:

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Randy, when my wife and I first got married, she was continually locking her keys in the car. I always had to come and "bail her out" with my keys. I thought I'd help the situation and buy her one of those little magnetic key boxes. I told her to put it on the car somewhere so she'd have it in case she locked the keys in the car again. Guess where she put it? Yep, under the front seat. She's blonde. :) JIM.
Too funny, good stories guys. I had forgotten about the wallet idea, I used to carry an extra key in my wallet but now I just have a money clip with no money in it. :sign0020:

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
when i bought my new truck in 07 i left it running and got put to check the mail. i hit the door locks and had to walk up the driveway to the house for the extra key. i now have it in one of those boxes on the truck just in case.

·
Registered
19,595 Posts
I don't trust those magnet boxes... I keep a set of keys in the glove box of our mini vans and both have the keyless entry pads... I also keep a key holder on my belt so as long as I am wearing pants I have my keys... I have shaved door handles on my 56 and can open them with a hidden button on the car in the event I loose or forget my belt carried keys... I also keep an ignition key in the car... My house and garage are two seperate buildings... If I should find myself locked out of my house I can enter my garage via choice of three overhead doors each with their own keyless entry pads to retreive the hidden house key... You can't have too many keys... Later, Dave

·
Registered
839 Posts
One day I met the wife for lunch. As we were walking back to our repective vehicles. My wife yells "Don't leave, my remote won't unlock the car!"
I said, "well use the KEY!":eek:
She was just a little embarrassed to say the least.
Oh, she's a brunnet.

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
One day I met the wife for lunch. As we were walking back to our repective vehicles. My wife yells "Don't leave, my remote won't unlock the car!"
I said, "well use the KEY!":eek:
She was just a little embarrassed to say the least.
Oh, she's a brunnet.

My girlfriend Debbie set the car alarm off on the 2003 Monte at a swap meet once. Even with the key fob in hand she couldn't get the alarm to shut off.
She's a brunette as well.
:rolleyes:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts