Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone here use the Dakota Digital PAC 2750 or the Painless 30140 Fan Controllers? If so, I would like to here your opinions on reliability and functionality. Any problems at all?

Thanks!
-bg8

·
Registered
6,486 Posts
Bill,
I have the DD and have not had any problems with it. I have dual two speed fans and AC so there is a lot for it to control and it works great.
Jim

·
Registered
1,424 Posts

·
Trifive Automotive Electrical Wiring Expert
27,021 Posts
I have a Spal fan controller, which is a pulse width modulator, that also turns one fan on at 1/2 speed and speeds it up as the temp goes up and then turns both fans on high at the high temp setting. From the write-up the Painless controller can turn both fans on at 1/2 speed and it also has a speed controller that will turn them off. That sounds like the way to go.

The disadvantage of the relay system, you need 2 temp sensors for the fans and another for the gauge. The electronic controllers use the same sensor as the gauge, so you only need one sensor.

·
Registered
13,421 Posts
I've got the Dakota and am running dual fans with a 2-speed setup.
Very happy with it.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the comments everyone!
Jim and Roger,
Have you ever disconnected the battery since you've installed the controller? Did you have to reset/reprogram the controller all over again?

Don,
I think Spal doesn't make the controller anymore or changed it from what I heard. I like the functionality of the Painless one the best, however it doesn't seem to have any fail safe as it's all on the electronic board. With the DD unit, I can tap a toggle switch to ground the relays in an emergency situation if I had to.

-bg8

·
Registered
13,421 Posts
Thanks for the comments everyone!
Jim and Roger,
Have you ever disconnected the battery since you've installed the controller? Did you have to reset/reprogram the controller all over again?
bg8
I have a disconnect on my battery that I regularly use.
The controller has never lost it's settings.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have a disconnect on my battery that I regularly use.
The controller has never lost it's settings.
Great news, Roger.. And it kicks both fans on high when the a/c is engaged, correct? Not just one fan?

The Derale unit and Ron Francis units only kick on the primary fan with the A/C..

·
Registered
37,238 Posts
One of those units mentioned had water ingress problems, though they may have been fixed by now. I forget which one.

That is something I'd want to know about.

Myself, I'm using the PCM for the EFI for fan control. Dual fans, half speed/full speed.

·
Registered
476 Posts
I have a thermostat set up that has one speed for both fans, high. Gets real hot here.

I just recently had a switch installed so sometimes when I shut the car off I turn on the fan so it can run a long as I feel needed. :pepsi:

·
Registered
13,421 Posts
The Dakota has to be mounted inside the car. It is not watertight and won't last under the hood.

·
Registered
37,238 Posts
I just recently had a switch installed so sometimes when I shut the car off I turn on the fan so it can run a long as I feel needed.
What's the point of that? You're not cooling the engine, just the radiator.

It would be different if you could circulate the coolant too, but that would require an electric water pump drive.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
One of those units mentioned had water ingress problems, though they may have been fixed by now. I forget which one.

That is something I'd want to know about.

Myself, I'm using the PCM for the EFI for fan control. Dual fans, half speed/full speed.
Good to know, Rick.. thanks. However I will be mounting the controller inside. If I was running a modern engine I would use the PCM as well.

·
Registered
13,421 Posts
What's the point of that? You're not cooling the engine, just the radiator. It would be different if you could circulate the coolant too, but that would require an electric water pump drive.
You and I discussed this quite some time ago. Some manufacturers do it. I'm sure you've seen the warning messages under the hood. With the Dakota, the fans wont start unexpectedly. They will only continue to run (for the time choice that you program in) if they were running at the time you shut the engine off. Probably not a real safety factor especially if you set the time short.

I think the advantage to having them run after would be when stopping and re-starting the engine within a very short time-frame and in the hot summer. The engine will then re-start and be a little cooler temperature than it would have otherwise been for a small amount of time right after the re-start. I don't see a lot of advantage in that but some manufacturers must have thought it was a decent idea along with the designer of the Dakota controller. There could be some convective cooling to the engine too. How much, I don't know.

·
Registered
13,421 Posts
Roger,
So when you turn on the AC, do both fans turn on?
-bg8
Yes, but not until the trinary switch calls for it via the high pressure. The trinary switch hooks up to the Dakota Controller and it gives the signal for high speed when the trinary switch closes.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks Jim, Roger and everyone else.. I think I may go with the DD unit so I will have standard relays to rely on. If anything goes wrong, I can pick up a spare relay almost anywhere.

·
Registered
476 Posts
What's the point of that? You're not cooling the engine, just the radiator.

It would be different if you could circulate the coolant too, but that would require an electric water pump drive.
When you first turn any car off the heat spikes as the water is not flowing. The twin fans blow so much heat off radiator and engine you would be surprised. Like when a motorcycle moves through air it really transfers off the heat, stop and cooling goes way down except for the oil doing it's job. IMHO

·
Registered
37,238 Posts
The heat source is the engine, not the coolant. Cooling the already cool part of the coolant isn't significant. Cooling the coolant that's in contact with the engine block and heads is significant.

If you had a drag race car with an electric fan and electric water pump drive, controlled separately, you could run a demonstration that would help understand what I mean. You could take that demo a step farther and spray some water on the radiator instead of running a fan and see that it still takes a long time to bring the temperature down, though you get a few degrees quickly.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts