Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i've been having cooling problems with my 56 with a just rebuilt 327,,have an american radiator 4 core...mechanical multiblade stainless flex fan and a shroud....on the highway was cooling down to 190 but as soon as you get in traffic was going up to 220...so the shop put a pusher fan on the outside of radiator.now stays at 185 on the road and 195 om traffic or stopped at a light.....now what was thrown at me by someone and I'm scratching my head...the pusher is pushing air through the radiator...the mechanical fan is pulling...but the fans are turning in opposite directions...my mechanic says that doesn't make a bit of difference as long as the pusher is pushing through the radiator and the mechanical is pulling...from the front of the car, the pusher is turning counter clockwise and the puller clockwise....and i being bullshitted or do they both have to turn in same direction???? I'm also having an underhood heat buildup that is perkulating my gas at extended stops but that will be another thread.....thanks

·
12,256 Posts
It doesn't make any difference, as long as the air is being moved in the right direction. But a pusher fan can actually hurt your cooling performance because it tends to block airflow.

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
I agree with chevynut--doesn't make a difference. I have a pusher fan on my stock 283 powerpack engine and have no problem keeping 180 degrees at idle with no shroud and no pump fan. Don't know what will happen yet on the open road as the car is all apart right now. Jim

·
Registered
37,975 Posts
Proper rotation direction just depends on which way the blades are turned. The leading edge of the blade has to "bite" into the air to get it to move. Turn the fan the opposite direction and you get nothing. Look at a fan blade and think about it, you'll figure it out.

A pusher is usually not a good idea as it blocks the flow when the vehicle is moving. Which means it may have to run all of the time, or at least more of the time.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts