Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed the radiator conversion plates to get rid of a 2.5 inch long spacer. By putting the radiator back in the V-8 position (my car is a 6 cylinder car) now the fan clutch does not fit. The plates are already at the end of the slots or do I have these in backwards? I Did not count on this happening. What now? Use the stock fixed fan? Convert over to an electric?

·
Premium Member
7,740 Posts
How close is the fan to the radiator?

Maybe you can extend or shorten the brackets a little to get the clearance you need.

Pics would help for more info :anim_25:

Rick

·
Trifive Automotive Electrical Wiring Expert
27,017 Posts
I installed the radiator conversion plates to get rid of a 2.5 inch long spacer. By putting the radiator back in the V-8 position (my car is a 6 cylinder car) now the fan clutch does not fit. The plates are already at the end of the slots or do I have these in backwards? I Did not count on this happening. What now? Use the stock fixed fan? Convert over to an electric?
As the drawing shows, the radiator in the V-8 position won't have enough room for a clutch fan, especially if you have a thicker 3 or 4 core radiator.
Your best solution would be a shroud with the radiator in the 6 cyl position. Git rid of the spacer and have the shroud fit the center line of the fan location.

·
Premium Member
13,068 Posts
Interesting " caution sticker" reference on the radiator in that blow up ,,seems the Janesville plant did different ,,,interesting footnote ,,,:)

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
I agree with Don, I have an original 6 cyl car with an aluminum radiator in the 6 cyl position with a 6 blade fan and a shroud. There will be plenty of room should you choose to run the clutch fan or you can use a spacer to insure that a non clutch fan is properly spaced 1/2 in and 1/2 out of the shroud. Spacing into the shroud is important. The clutch fan won't help your engine cool any better it's purpose was to unharness a few horsepower when it's not needed and free spinning. A non clutch 5,6 or 7 blade fan will work every bit as good on a street driven car.

Don

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
This is not working too well.....uuuuugh!

Got a stock V-8 fan reinstalled the radiator, and now the fan contacts power steering pump, so i measured from the radiator to the front of the fan 1/3/4 inches total. Went to oriellys to get a 1inch spacer, now the fan contacts the bottom of the radiator. 3 times is a charm to the parts store.....lucky me!

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Got it done, finally!!

After so much cursing and swearing, its finally in with no clearance issues. Ive gut about a 1/4 inch clearance from the snout of the power steering pump and 1/4 inch from the radiator to the fan. I cant do any better than this.

I thought this was going to be a direct bolt on no problem parts installation. It was anything but a direct bolt on. Ecklers needs to recheck that 1.5 hour installation time, more like 15..0 hours with all the radiator alignment I had to do, and not knowing how big a shim I needed.

For everyones reference.....1/2 inch spacer with a stock fan or go electric.

·
Administrator
66,105 Posts
Sure was a battle to get the alignment, now that its done you can hopefully get back to cruising without any more issues :tu

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
After so much cursing and swearing, its finally in with no clearance issues. Ive gut about a 1/4 inch clearance from the snout of the power steering pump and 1/4 inch from the radiator to the fan. I cant do any better than this.

I thought this was going to be a direct bolt on no problem parts installation. It was anything but a direct bolt on. Ecklers needs to recheck that 1.5 hour installation time, more like 15..0 hours with all the radiator alignment I had to do, and not knowing how big a shim I needed.

For everyones reference.....1/2 inch spacer with a stock fan or go electric.
I think "bolt in installation" rates right up with "the check is in the mail" :sign0020:

Joebowtie-trifive

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
One quarter inch sounds a little close. Are you using side engine mounts and a trans cross member? I have found that the stock front engine mounts have a tendency to allow the engine to rock or move forward a little particularly under heavy braking situations. If you're using the stock front and rear frame horn mounts keep an eye on them and watch the fan to radiator core clearance. You don't want the fan hitting the core!

Don

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
One quarter inch sounds a little close. Are you using side engine mounts and a trans cross member? I have found that the stock front engine mounts have a tendency to allow the engine to rock or move forward a little particularly under heavy braking situations. If you're using the stock front and rear frame horn mounts keep an eye on them and watch the fan to radiator core clearance. You don't want the fan hitting the core!

Don
I am using the side engine mounts and rear transmission cross member. I do have the radiator sitting up so the bottom of the tank is level with the top of the support which leaves that 1/4 inch spacing at the bottom. I am more worried about the bolts that hold everything together coming loose and having the radiator tip into the fan....:ahhhhh:

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I think "bolt in installation" rates right up with "the check is in the mail" :sign0020:

Joebowtie-trifive
More like "each part sold separately"....:sign0020:

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
don't blame ecklers, you've got a power steering pump in a non stock position, you've got a non stock radiator, you've got a non stock fan setup. sometin's gotta go wrong.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts