Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All:

I have a question regarding the installation of Eckler's ABS fan shroud for a V8radiator in the six cylinder position.

My radiator has been moved to the six cylinder position with adapter plates.

The rad support is a V8 rad support. At first glance it does not appears that this shroud is going to fit if I have to have the shroud right up against the radiator. It appears that the opening from the bottom of the upper brace to the bottom of the radiator support is smaller than the outside dimensions of the fan shroud. Has anyone installed this shroud in this configuration. Do not want to start cutting and hacking the shroud or the radiator support.

·
Registered
989 Posts
ABS shroud

I have installed the ABS shroud with no problems. I do have the 6 cyl radiator support with the radiator mounted infront. The thickness of the adaptor plates on yours will take up room on each side and not allow the shroud to fit properly. You could split the shroud in the middle and take out a bit. That will create other problems though. I would not modify the radiator support. No other good advise.

·
Registered
38,586 Posts
Shrouds work.

As far as the installation, do whatever you have to do to make it fit up flush. You can hack on it wherever it needs. Fill any gaps with sheetmetal or a piece of plastic.

These things don't always fit even when used exactly as designed. No problem to cut on them.

·
Administrator
50,404 Posts
Wakes i have a V-8 support, radiator in the 6cyl position and a shroud. I ended up buying both 6 and v-8 shroud. I had to modify either one. I`ll check and see which one i ended up using.
Terry

·
Administrator
50,404 Posts
The 6cyl shroud is the one i ended up using. I still had to do some modifying on it. Theres a couple more shots of it on page 21 of my cardomain page.
Terry

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
On My 283 engine the rad is in the v8 position. When I read the ecklers install guide it says I may need to modify the shroud. I have power steering. When they say modify do they mean one cut here etc. Or is it a major modification. Anyone do this on a stock 283 set up.

Can you purchase a generic shroud at your local parts shop?

Thanks Peter

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wakes i have a V-8 support, radiator in the 6cyl position and a shroud. I ended up buying both 6 and v-8 shroud. I had to modify either one. I`ll check and see which one i ended up using.
Terry
Hi Terry: I think I know what my problem is, I beleive if I had a six cylinder rad support it would probably bolt in, but because I am using a V8 support and I have moved the radiator into the six cylinder position this is causing me some grief. I am going to mock up some card board and do some measuring to see if I can modify this shroud. I am not to excited about cutting up my rad support being as though it is powder coated and I don't want to comprise the structural strength of it.

·
Administrator
50,404 Posts
Shouldn`t be any trouble to mount it. My support is a V-8 support, radiator in the 6cyl. position. All in all it worked out pretty good. I did do a couple of modifications to the shroud when mounting it though. I did use a 6cyl. shroud, it worked the easiest to mount. I bought both a 6cyl and a V-8 shroud and ended up using the 6cyl one.
Terry

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Shouldn`t be any trouble to mount it. My support is a V-8 support, radiator in the 6cyl. position. All in all it worked out pretty good. I did do a couple of modifications to the shroud when mounting it though. I did use a 6cyl. shroud, it worked the easiest to mount. I bought both a 6cyl and a V-8 shroud and ended up using the 6cyl one.
Terry
Hi Terry: What size of fan did you use, I think mine might be to big (18"). Also what modifications did you have to do. I think the back bolts that are on the engine side that hold the adapter plates may be in the way, might have to go to button heads. Did you bolt the shroud to these ones or the bolts that hold the rad.

Also, on my rad support in the saddle part of it there is a small filler panel on the engine side. Did you remove this filler panel or not.??

Thanks for your help,

·
Administrator
50,404 Posts
My shroud is bolted in the original V-8 flange holes.
No i didn`t remove the filler panel.
I believe my fan is a 17" steel 7 blade fan.
Seems like the shroud had to be cut on the lower side to fit. Cuts pretty easy with a band saw or scroll saw.
I didn`t have any trouble with the bolts from the adapter plates since they hold the plate and the shroud both.
Terry

·
Administrator
50,404 Posts
Did the shroud make a noticeable difference on engine temps.
Can`t say since i installed the shroud on this build before ever driving it.
Terry

·
Administrator
50,404 Posts
No specific application on the fan. Ordered the 17" steel fan from Summit racing. Measure the shroud when you get it here, plus it will depend on the way the engine sits in the engine bay too.
Terry

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.