Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
41 - 60 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
35,509 Posts
I'm not Bruce but I'll give you my thoughts.

Move the shroud down and make up a filler for the gap at the top, along with the other mods suggested. Or just start over.

The guy in NZ thinks he knows it all but it's been pointed out that he doesn't. And he's not taking it well because nothing is ever his fault.

This is not the first time recently and there were other posts by him with errors previously. He needs to read a lot of posts to figure out what's going on. Others do, and they pay attention to those who know.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #42 (Edited)
I NEVER said the shroud was too high! I said the RADIATOR is too high. If you lower the radiator it in turn will lower the lower hose connection that is holding the shroud up. When the 55/56 style radiator is used it stops the radiator from being installed down where it should be. Look at it this way, If you lower the radiator it will in turn allow the shroud to go lower and POOF the fan won't hit the bottom of the shroud any more. Bottom line is either your decision to swap tanks or your radiator shop screwed you over with installing an incorrect tank. Do you seriously think GM/Harrison would have made a special radiator for just a 57 6 cylinder if they didn't have to??????
You obviously can't understand what I am saying.
The radiator is at the original height from the top of the core downward.
I still have the original top tank, and could easily re-install it. but this still leaves the lower outlet too high

The shroud fits OK with a six but needs to be lowered for a V8 YET CLASSIC INDUSTRIES CLAIM IT FITS BOTH [they are misrepresenting their substandard product]

It fits the fan height of 6 cylinder engine.
There is no way in hell that the shroud can be centralized to the fan on both engines, the difference in height between the waterpumps is the problem.

What pisses me off is it does not fit a V8 at all and they got me to send it around the world to NZ [the shipping costs is more than the value of the shroud]

I can butcher the Radiator OR the front support bar, or modify the shroud .
I don't want to cut up my car to justify using a crap product

But it would be easier for me to make a whole new shroud myself [I am certainly capable of this, and have built them for race cars before]

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
Sounds like you need to speak with Classic about this. I guess maybe you thought you would since you posted in the Classic Industries Forum, however every one else seems to have no problem speaking for Classic as if they represent them.
I would think your question for Classic may be are you going to refund ALL my money for this item that I am far from happy with. Good luck

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #44 (Edited)
After reading and rereading your thread, I believe the shroud and lower hose issue can be remedied easy enough....However, the fan and shroud interference is a different matter, IMHO...Can you measure and see what the distance is from the crank center-line to the frame? It should be approximately 5 3/4", if the engine is sitting correctly.

Thanks for that. My engine measures 5-5/8" so mine is down by 1/8" [lifting it helps but wont gain the 1" I need]

The waterpump centreline on the V8 measures 12-5/8" from the cross member on my car with the V8
The waterpump with the six measures 13-5/8" from the cross member
[this is using the same mounts]

Now before everybody starts on a witchhunt against me. I am very capable of fabricating complete cars so a fan shroud is a piece of cake for me.
I will not alter my car to justify using crap parts, when it is easier to alter the product.
The chevy fan is 17" diameter and the ID of the shroud is 18-1/2" allowing 3/4" clearance all the way around it [so I need to carefully centralize it]

When I purchased this part from Classic Industries, it was for a V8 engine with the radiator in the original 6 cyl position.
When I got the package it had written on the box "55-57 fan shroud 6 cylinder"
So what they sent me is not for a V8 but for a 6

I'm into this for $100 + $80 shipping + 15% sales tax $207 which = $308 NZD
I would rather they sent me the correct shroud for the V8 application in the first place.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Sounds like you need to speak with Classic about this. I guess maybe you thought you would since you posted in the Classic Industries Forum, however every one else seems to have no problem speaking for Classic as if they represent them.
I would think your question for Classic may be are you going to refund ALL my money for this item that I am far from happy with. Good luck
I will, but the time difference between NZ and USA [western time] means I need to wait until tomorrow

·
Administrator
48,525 Posts
You aren`t understanding. When the radiator in a 57 is mounted in front of the support, the upper neck is to the left side of the tank, not in the middle. That allows the radiator to drop down more.
Terry

·
Administrator
48,525 Posts
When I purchased this part from Classic Industries, it was for a V8 engine with the radiator in the original 6 cyl position.
When I got the package it had written on the box "55-57 fan shroud 6 cylinder"
So what they sent me is not for a V8 but for a 6
Unless it has changed, no one offers but 2 choices, a V-8 shroud or a 6 cyl shroud. I had to rework some on mine 9-10 yrs ago to get it to work like i wanted, even using the correct radiator with side mounted upper neck.
Terry

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #48 (Edited)
Unless it has changed, no one offers but 2 choices, a V-8 shroud or a 6 cyl shroud. I had to rework some on mine 9-10 yrs ago to get it to work like i wanted, even using the correct radiator with side mounted upper neck.
Terry
That information isn't exactly volunteered by Classic Industries.

What is written on the box is "55-57 fan shroud 6 cylinder" [which means it is for a 6 cylinder]
The instructions in the box say "part #16625 Metal Fan Shroud V8 in 6-Cyl. Position"

Classic Industries therefore claim this shroud can do both [and there is nothing in their instructions about chopping it or lowering the radiator.
Because there is only 3/4" clearance around a 17" fan, this shroud cannot serve both purposes as claimed.
It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out the fan is 1" lower on a V8.

You would have assumed they did their research instead of lying to the public.

You aren`t understanding. When the radiator in a 57 is mounted in front of the support, the upper neck is to the left side of the tank, not in the middle. That allows the radiator to drop down more.
Terry
I understand, this is only if I want to move the brackets down or redrill them [or the radiator]

I could also leave it alone and alter the bottom outlet [this doesn't alter the car at all]
or cut and re-weld the shroud.

I have successfully made Radiator shrouds from Oven Roasting trays [approx. $2 from the fleemarkets] see photo

Find one that is close to the desired depth and widen it both directions, and use the 4 corners because the centre is cut out anyway.
Once the hole is cut in the correct position, you tip the edge outwards using a bead roller [or English wheel]
Cut out for the lower outlet using a knockout punch and slot it.

The style attached has an outer lip that can be screwed directly to the rad support [using rivnuts in the support]

This is easy for me to fabricate , and I'll try and return the one I purchased [or sell it] instead of cutting up a $300 NZD shroud

I would have never purchased it , if I was told the truth about them

Edit: You're not dedicated enough until you start stealing your wife's kitchen utensils for your car

Attachments

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
49,302 Posts
This statement in Classic Industries shroud description is incorrect:"....designed to work in any 1955-57 Chevrolet passenger model using a V8 radiator mounted in the 6 cylinder position in a V8 core support using TF600228 conversion brackets"

You can not mount a V8 radiator in the 6 cylinder position on a 57 without a bunch of mods.

·
Premium Member
14,995 Posts
You obviously can't understand what I am saying.
The radiator is at the original height from the top of the core downward.
I still have the original top tank, and could easily re-install it. but this still leaves the lower outlet too high

The shroud fits OK with a six but needs to be lowered for a V8 YET CLASSIC INDUSTRIES CLAIM IT FITS BOTH [they are misrepresenting their substandard product]

It fits a 6 cylinder without any issues at all.
There is no way in hell that the shroud can be centralized to the fan on both engines, the difference in height between the waterpumps is the problem.

What pisses me off is it does not fit a V8 at all and they got me to send it around the world to NZ [the shipping costs is more than the value of the shroud]

I can butcher the Radiator OR the front support bar, or modify the shroud .
I don't want to cut up my car to justify using a crap product

But it would be easier for me to make a whole new shroud myself [I am certainly capable of this, and have built them for race cars before]
You obviously don't understand that GM/Harrison would NEVER have made a special 57 6 cylinder ONLY radiator if they didn't need to. It was done for a reason. Again you have come here looking for answers and you don't like the answers so you result to swear words, GOOD LUCK!

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
I purchased a V8 fan shroud for radiator in the 6 cylinder position from you.
this was shipped to New Zealand so the shipping was expensive.

You either sent me the wrong product, or it was packaged wrong by the manufacturer or It is just a total piece of junk, courtesy of admin

I am using a standard 57 fan, and a 57 six cylinder radiator and support.
No way the fan clear the shroud with the bottom radiator hose in place.

see photos. [the shroud is rubbing the fan at the bottom with it sitting against the lower hose]

Is classic industries going to remedy this? [either refund price including shipping or send me the correct fitting part]
Why don't you just notch it out so the shroud slides down over the hose. I don't see the big problem here. And make a panel to cover up that big hole under your radiator.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #52 (Edited)
Why don't you just notch it out so the shroud slides down over the hose. I don't see the big problem here. And make a panel to cover up that big hole under your radiator.
That is what I have seriously considered.

But as I posted earlier, I could make a new shroud easier from a $2 oven dish [that would look better]
I still need to Alter the side brackets to lower it enough and make a filler panel on top so, the labour is about the same.

So for an extra initial $2, I still have the existing shroud to sell to try and recover the $300 I spent to get it here
If I tamper with it, I have no recourse with Classic Industries

Also in the last 12 hours, I borrowed a friends 57 6 cylinder radiator, and the shroud is still to high for a V8.
The 57 top tank would probably gain an extra approx. 3/8" if I lowered the radiator.
His Radiator is rotten, so I will buy the tanks [which ends this debate over radiators fitting]

edit: attached is a photo of a fan shroud made from an oven roasting dish [this example is aluminium with an electric fan]
They are braindead easy to make to a nice standard

Attachments

·
Registered
257 Posts
There is nothing wrong with the fan shroud or Classic Industries. There are issues, a few, but it's not with them.

·
Registered
297 Posts
There is nothing wrong with the fan shroud or Classic Industries. There are issues, a few, but it's not with them.

If you try to fit it to a V8 application some chopping and shifting needs to be done [either rad support or shroud]

Their Catalog is misleading!
Or maybe I've misunderstood American Tri-5 owners and they consider ill fitting parts an acceptable standard

·
Registered
35,509 Posts
Something you need to realize.

Classic Industries did not design this shroud, or manufacture it. I doubt if anyone that works there has a thimbleful of knowledge about it. Someone else makes it and wrote the instructions too.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Their Catalog is misleading!
Or maybe I've misunderstood American Tri-5 owners and they consider ill fitting parts an acceptable standard
Don't you think that it is time for you to quit complaining and put this to bed?

·
Trifive Automotive Electrical Wiring Expert
25,944 Posts
Don't you think that it is time for you to quit complaining and put this to bed?
This IS the Classic Industries section. I think Kerry would probably like to hear from them.

·
Registered
15,171 Posts
I'm surprised Trifivers here have had all this patience with this nut and trying to appease him. This pinhead has 35 years :sheep:road racing/mechanic experience and can't figure this problem out and blames everybody but himself. On and on and on,this too high,wrong tank here,lower tank there,this too low,this rubs here,brackets way off,measurements way off,we don't know this or that and its all our fault and vendors lie. Well listen to this pal,if American Trifivers are stupid and accept substandard ill fitting parts then become your own seller. If you've made your own shrouds out of a 2 buck fish oven fry pan and had all this sucess and good design,then why didn't just build your own for your car and save you all that money and complaining and aggravation,if you're so sharp. Lots of good folks here have tried to help(more than 50 responses to your post) and you still gripe and we accept ill fitting parts as our standard,oh you're such a kind individual pal.I hope you fit another 2 buck fish pan for your installation being that you have 35 years experience. Have a good day pal.:sheep:

·
Administrator
48,525 Posts
OK guys, no more comments from here on out unless it is from the vendor. Any more and i will delete them.
Thank you for understanding,Terry.

P.S. The only reason i`m leaving it open is to give the vendor a chance to respond.

41 - 60 of 61 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.