Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, I am seriously considering replacing my 5 blade mechanical fan with an electric one. It seems I just can't get the "W" engine in my '56 gasser to run cool enough to my liking. It runs about 180-190 at 45-50 mph but as soon as I get into slower traffic or red lights, it will creep up to 210-220; maybe higher if I didn't move. I think I've tried everything but the electric fan. I know I want a puller type fan but is there any other features I should be looking for?? If this is a fair question, how do these rate against the mechanical fan. Many thanx, Carmine.

·
Registered
2,588 Posts
Our last 409 car had a 7-blade GM clutch-fan about 17" in diameter , inside a close-fitting shroud . We could take that car anywhere , and it would sit in a traffic jam and stay cool . There are 2 schools of thought here , but either solution takes careful product selection ; you need to move a lot of air to cool a hot-headed W engine , so even if you opt for the electric , go to a large , high-end fan with an adjustable sensor/relay . Summers just keep getting hotter , so go with a big rad and fan combination . Some swear by the electrics ,and some swear at them . Stay cool and be safe...Bob.

·
Registered
8,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Our last 409 car had a 7-blade GM clutch-fan about 17" in diameter , inside a close-fitting shroud . We could take that car anywhere , and it would sit in a traffic jam and stay cool . There are 2 schools of thought here , but either solution takes careful product selection ; you need to move a lot of air to cool a hot-headed W engine , so even if you opt for the electric , go to a large , high-end fan with an adjustable sensor/relay . Summers just keep getting hotter , so go with a big rad and fan combination . Some swear by the electrics ,and some swear at them . Stay cool and be safe...Bob.
I have a large aluminum radiator already. I think the mechanical fan is 17". If I do go with the electric fan, I would want the 17" one or maybe bigger if they make them. I like the idea of it being thermostatically controlled.

I'm envious of how cool your 409 ran. I try doing things right and only once, but can't seem to get it. Guess that's the fun part???

·
Premium Member
6,887 Posts
If you do decide to go electric, I would get the fan/shroud combination. If I remember, the one I bought years ago came from "Cooling Components". Most are made to "trim to fit". If you cover all of the rad. with the shrould, ALL the air has to be pulled thru the rad, instead of around it. Get the highest CFM fan that will fit. Hope this makes sense.

·
Registered
13,436 Posts
I do not like pusher fans and will not use one. I think they do more harm than good.
I also will not ever mount an electric fan directly to the radiator core.

The most important thing to get air coming through the radiator is a shroud. If you go with an electric fan, mounting it to the shroud is the best way to go.

I just had a shop custom make me a shroud for my '57 pickup. It cost me $80.

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
55,388 Posts

·
Registered
13,436 Posts
Is that stainless Roger1 and what guage steel did they use? Looks great.
Doug
It's aluminum. .060 I believe. I guess that's 14 gauge.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I run two 12'' electric fans (came off Hyundai Excel) pulling behind a copper radiator (Holden). My 406 sbc has 11:1 compression but it never overheats idling in our hot summer traffic or when I race on the track. In mild weather just one of the fans cools enough. They have their own shroud and cover the entire core. They were cheap from a wrecking yard and have been working on the car for over five years. You don't have to buy fancy big name brands.
Cheers

·
Registered
13,436 Posts
That is really a pretty nifty setup.

Here's the instructions for it:
http://www.classicchevy.com/assets/pdf/classicchevy/18-407.pdf

Just a couple of small things I would do different. I wouldn't use pop rivets to install the fans to the shroud. That would make it harder to replace a fan if necessary down the road.

And with anything electrical, I don't use insulated crimp connectors. They are just too unreliable IMO. I always use non-insulated connectors with solder and cover with heat shrink. I also have using weather protected relays for under the hood that I get from Waytek.

·
Registered
8,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Looks great too, any choices yet Carmine
Not yet but I'm close. Some very good responses from everyone. Thank you.
The fan will definitely be a puller with its own shroud. I want it thermostatically controlled.

Additional question: I see some have straight blades and other "S" shaped blades. Would one be more efficient then the other??? Thanx, Carmine.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.