Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Administrator
49,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The first time around i ran a flex fan. This time i`m not sure what i want to run, not really wanting to run electric. What has been yalls experience with radiatior fans good or bad flex, solid pitch fans or.... electric. In V-8 radiator location with short water pump i have 1 1/2 inch left between wp and radiator. Thanks.
Terry.

·
Registered
688 Posts
I had a few cars with flex fans and never was to crazy on how it cooled, since you only have 1 1/2" you may want to look for an air conditioning fan with more than 4 blades and shroud, if your going to electric you would need a pusher fan, I dont think you would have room for a puller, you could move your radiator to the 6 position then run a shroud and clutch fan, I'm in the 6 position with electric fan and a shroud

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have also been running a flex fan from day one but one that the blades are the same width top to bottom about 2 1/2 " wide. It runs around 180-190.

Mark

·
Administrator
49,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Are yalls flex fans blades made of stainless, aluminum or what? The one i ran before was made of a thin stainless and is sharp as a razor. Ask me how i found that one out, haha.
Terry.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Terry, I had the same issue with my 427 and feared accidental contact with the blades. Of course by having a BB the radiator is in the 6 position so I added a puller fan and full shroud (see post on subject). Bottom line is safety and reliability and a good electric is the way to go. James

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am currently running a flex fan with my 509BBC, but it runs warm when at idle. I installed a shroud and it seems better but still gets hot when stopped.
I am running a Griffin radiator in the 6 cylinder position and a 180 tstat. This winter I will switch over to an electric fan, leaning towards a Spal unit.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
I am running a stainless flex fan w/shroud in the V-8 position.Runs right on the 180 degree stat.The blades are 2/3 into the shroud.The blades are somewhat sharp....but I still have all my fingers/thumbs :D

·
Registered
875 Posts
Terry I moved may radiator to the 6 location and added a clutch fan and fan shroud. I had a flex fan like Mikey but when you idle for a while Temp would climb over 200 mark. Also with a clutch fan I don't have that annoying fan noise that sounds like you need to shift to another gear. I can run 185 all day even in good old Texas.

·
Administrator
49,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Tom it looks like that is the same thing i`ll be doing since the serpentine belt pulleys seem to move the tracking out a little further than a v-belt. I bought a 6cyl shroud at the swap meet in arlington and have done had the sheetmetal cut for the adapters to move the radiator to the 6cyl position.
Terry

·
Registered
961 Posts
I was doing fine 'til the last car show of the season (early Sept.). We had a long line up waiting to regester and slow rolling idle in for about 45 minutes or so. When I finally parked the temp gauge read about 230...then she puked. There was coolant flying out everywhere, you can imagine my delight:mad: I'm going with a new aluminum radiator moved to the 6 cylinder position with a shroud. Just today I was looking at fans online, trying to make the best decision. Thanks for everyone's input but I'm still a bit confused.:confused: I woud like to stick with a flex fan at this point. I've got a 305 small block with 180 degree 'stat in it. I usually run down the road about 185 but it goes up when I Idle.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
I'm running a 17" 6-blade aluminum flex fan. Griffin radiator in V8 position with a shroud. Hayden Electric 15" s-blade electric pusher fan. 185 degree thermostat. At idle in traffic, with the A/C running, I never run hotter than 205-210 degree's in 100+ temps.

55fazzi

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
A shroud with the fan blades positioned 1/3 of the way into the shroud will make a world of difference.In the wife's 55,I have a stock appearing 4 core rad with a stainless steel flex fan mounted as described above in the V-8 position and am running a mildly built 350....It runs right on the 180 degree stat.Good luck!

·
Registered
3,392 Posts
Okiedokie... looks like everyone has an opinion on this one.. so I might as well jump in too. I'm running a (very) hard-hitting 355 with a 5 speed trans. At one time I had a Griffin in the V8 position with shroud and GM "Desert Cooler" 5 blade fan. Going down the road or just riding around town it did ok. Sitting at a long light on a warm day, it it would climb quickly to 210++ if I let it. When I moved from the cool Pacific Northwest to the balmy heat of Mississippi, the problem became a real issue.. So, my solution was to go with a good quality cross-flow radiator in the 6 cyld position. I installed Spal twin 11" fans, that fit perfect inside the core support. I only had to fab up some simple brackets with are hidden to hold the fan assembly in. I wired the fans using a high quality twin relay system utilizing an automatic fan switch in the front of the intake manifold. That switch needs to be placed as close as possible to the thermostat housing area to get the right temp-read from the water. I found a switch that would activate the fans at just under 200, and (it) turns the fans back off at about 183 or so. When driving down the road, the fans never kick on because the natural amount of extra air coming from the grill does the job. I use a 180 thermostat with a tiny hole drilled in the flange to let a very small amount of coolant bi-pass all the time. Speaking of coolant.. distilled water with a small amount of antifreeze is the best combo.. depending on how cold of temps your car will see. Here in Mississippi, and in my garage, the car just doesn't get too cold.

With this combo I can sit in HOT weather at an idle and the temp gauge will climb up to just under 200, I can hear those big Spal fans kick on and with in a few moments the temp drops right down to 183 or so.. if I continue to sit (like in a long parade for example) the same temp cycle happens again. Once I'm rolling at all.. the fans never turn on. A great source for a NICE radiator is Don McDavitt http://www.mcdsradiator.com/radiator.htm I bought my fans off Ebay for a great price.

55 Mike

1 - 20 of 24 Posts