Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So one thing I personally would like on my 56, is some wider tires on the rear, nothing super crazy, but I was told you can't get very wide tires due to the frame. Is there work arounds?

·
Administrator
1957 Bel Air sport sedan
10,746 Posts
I have fit 235/60/15 under mine, definitely wider than stock. I think Terry fit 275/50/15 under his without spring pockets. @chevman57 Do I remember that correctly?

·
Administrator
50,191 Posts
I have fit 235/60/15 under mine, definitely wider than stock. I think Terry fit 275/50/15 under his without spring pockets. @chevman57 Do I remember that correctly?
I have 275-60x15 on the rear of mine. 8" rims with 4.5" backspacing.
Terry

·
Registered
7,140 Posts
Not only width, but diameter can also be an issue with Tri Fives. A buddy of mine put 10" wide rear tires that were 29" diameter, and they barely fit both ways. Occasionally under power the diameter would rub on the front edge of the lower corner of the rear wheelwell radius. Since his car was satin black he took a parting wheel and opened up the leading corner carefully, and then dressed it off and shot some rattle can satin black on it.
These cars just don't allow a lot of big rear tires without some major rework. You can get somewhat large with spring relocation, and tubs, but the next step gets a lot deeper into modifications.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Not only width, but diameter can also be an issue with Tri Fives. A buddy of mine put 10" wide rear tires that were 29" diameter, and they barely fit both ways. Occasionally under power the diameter would rub on the front edge of the lower corner of the rear wheelwell radius. Since his car was satin black he took a parting wheel and opened up the leading corner carefully, and then dressed it off and shot some rattle can satin black on it.
These cars just don't allow a lot of big rear tires without some major rework. You can get somewhat large with spring relocation, and tubs, but the next step gets a lot deeper into modifications.
Not trying to go crazy wide, I just like the stance with wider back tires. It looks cool to me

·
Premium Member
56 2 dr ba sedan
1,119 Posts
*( my car is in paint jail, so I can't look at em but-) I have tires as wide as these on the back of my 56 , I'm using real chevy 15 x 8 rally wheels. I did turn in the inside of my wheel wells about 1/8- 1/4 of an inch, can't see it unless you really look

·
Registered
7,140 Posts
Not trying to go crazy wide, I just like the stance with wider back tires. It looks cool to me
I think wider tires look great on almost any car. But a Tri Five is one of the most restrictive rear fender/frame setups out there, and tough to get anything over 9" wide in the rear in stock form. That's about a 255-15 tire, which to me isn't really a wide tire. But one of the nice things about a Tri Five is that a 9" tire width fills the wheelwell so much that they tend to look wider than they really are.

·
Registered
7,140 Posts
it is unfortunate they have restrictive fenders/frames. It's alright, i'll make it work i think.i am hoping to make sure it sits up in the rear a little bit.
Considering the era they were plenty big enough for factory tires. But used to see a whole bunch of them with rear wheelwells radiused once they got big engines, and bigger rear tires. Probably more Tri Fives than almost any other single make of car at the drags.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Big rear tires look great, but at the sacrifice of a narrower track width which is detrimental for cornering/handling. Lots of traction going forward, but less for turning and stability, especially with skinny front tires. I'm running the same size F/R with 275/40-17's on 9.5 wide wheels with a wide track. Staggered tires where never an option in 55.

Attachments

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Big rear tires look great, but at the sacrifice of a narrower track width which is detrimental for cornering/handling. Lots of traction going forward, but less for turning and stability, especially with skinny front tires. I'm running the same size F/R with 275/40-17's on 9.5 wide wheels with a wide track. Staggered tires where never an option in 55.
Can you post a shot from the side of yours? It looks like it is wicked looking.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Suggest having a play with this; 55-57 Rear tire size

It also depends on your definition of 'some wider tires'.

Not a 56, but these are 275/40/20 on 20 x 8.5" wheels (can't remember the back spacing), stock springs, and tubs. No rubbing or fouling.

Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Motor vehicle

The issue with tire fouling on the rear edge of the rocker is easily fixed; - Just drill new axle pin locating holes 0.75" forward of their stock location. This will allow the axle to move rearward providing additional tire/rocker clearance. No other mods required.

Good luck with what you decide.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts