Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1956 Belair Sedan, Resto-Mod, Many Upgrades
722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I love my 56' with fender skirts...yes they are aftermarket parts and though they fit pretty good, the two clips that are used to align them in the opening and retain them in place...are pure junk!
1. There is no locking mechanism to keep them from backing off...and the skirt falls off.
2. The 1/4 x 20 bolt...is pointed on the end and is worthless due to the tiny contact area with the fender.
3. One of my skirts fell off about 8 months ago, got scraped at the lower front side but it was able to be rescued with installation of the gravel guards, and I have tried different ideas to make them more secure. Toyed with using a 1/4 x 20 bolt with a lock washer under the hex head...but no room to put a wrench on it as the clip bolts head is much smaller 10mm.
4. I finally settled on welding a 10/32 steel nut plate to the clip. I used a 5/16 headed bolt that is a 10/32 thread. I have the room for a 1/4 socket or dog bone, and the nut plate is a metal self locking nut plate. The 10/32 bolt has a much larger contact on the fender compared to the pointed original bolt, so its more secure and not able to slip. Also, the bolt will not backoff as it is self locking.
5. It took 4 nut plates and four 10/32 bolts, and a little welding.
6 Finally reinstalled my skirts and they are tight...finally!
7. I am enclosing pictures for your info...

Rods56
Product Black Grey Beige Fastener

Metal Household hardware Iron Security Bronze

·
Registered
1956 Belair Sedan, Resto-Mod, Many Upgrades
722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
BTW...you can get these bolts in 3/4, and 1 inch. I used 3/4 length.
Helps that I have worked on aircraft for 52 years...hope this helps anyone with the same issues.
u

·
Premium Member
4,875 Posts
I love my 56' with fender skirts...yes they are aftermarket parts and though they fit pretty good, the two clips that are used to align them in the opening and retain them in place...are pure junk!
1. There is no locking mechanism to keep them from backing off...and the skirt falls off.
2. The 1/4 x 20 bolt...is pointed on the end and is worthless due to the tiny contact area with the fender.
3. One of my skirts fell off about 8 months ago, got scraped at the lower front side but it was able to be rescued with installation of the gravel guards, and I have tried different ideas to make them more secure. Toyed with using a 1/4 x 20 bolt with a lock washer under the hex head...but no room to put a wrench on it as the clip bolts head is much smaller 10mm.
4. I finally settled on welding a 10/32 steel nut plate to the clip. I used a 5/16 headed bolt that is a 10/32 thread. I have the room for a 1/4 socket or dog bone, and the nut plate is a metal self locking nut plate. The 10/32 bolt has a much larger contact on the fender compared to the pointed original bolt, so its more secure and not able to slip. Also, the bolt will not backoff as it is self locking.
5. It took 4 nut plates and four 10/32 bolts, and a little welding.
6 Finally reinstalled my skirts and they are tight...finally!
7. I am enclosing pictures for your info...

Rods56 View attachment 330687

View attachment 330686
Excellent!

And yes, skirts are the best!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.