Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Fitting up my fender skirts and the metal pieces have been given their final tweak to fit well and the rubbers attached.

My question is about the standard clips. How well do they hold these things to the car? Seems like the clips screw to the lip of the wheel arch and the tab ends of the clips just locate through the slits of the actual fender skirts – preventing sideways movement, not actually fastening them on. That means the centre clamp is doing most of the work. Is that how it goes?

And am recalling a post from one of our guys out west and how he lost one off his car on a freeway and ... well ... you can imagine how that ended up. :(

One of my buddies suggested drilling holes in the lip of the wheel arches either side and fastening with later model nylon fasteners.

What do people think/do here?

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Hey John,

looks like things are getting closer and closet o finishing....

With the fender skirts i know what you're saying about the fitting and fastening of the fender skirts, it seems like there is no way they will hold, but seemingly they just do.

My mate had them fitted for a few years before selling his 57 HT and never had a problem, mine are stilling sitting in the garage waiting for me to get of my backside and prep and spray them, when i did a trial fit when i first got them i was thinking the same thing about them holding on especially at speed.

I guess if your worried and they will be basically a perminant fixture then maybe a good idea to drill a couple of small holes into the lip and fix the this way, just makes things that little harder it that dredded time of having to change a wheel comes along on the side of the road...

·
Registered
299 Posts
The clips do mount as you said. The skirt itself is anchored to the fender lip with the "cam-lever" assist as a "locking" mechanism.

That lever snaps into a "notch" (the rolled lip of the skirt) on the skirt and theoretically will never come unlatched except on purpose.

But if some one has not fully engaged the cam lever into positive engagement of the notch, the skirt can come away from the clips since the clips really only align the skirt to the wheel opening.

·
Premium Member
4,725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks. The nylon fittings I was shown can be done and undone by hand, but still have enough 'grab' that they will not rattle loose. These were holding a wether shield onto a side door window on a late model Falcon (Australian Ford) – and I think are easily available. Pretty small fittings, but also strong.

Am also having trouble finding my clips set :p so am getting ready for an alternate solution!

Nice looking car, SS. :)

·
Premium Member
50,811 Posts
The clips do mount as you said. The skirt itself is anchored to the fender lip with the "cam-lever" assist as a "locking" mechanism.

That lever snaps into a "notch" (the rolled lip of the skirt) on the skirt and theoretically will never come unlatched except on purpose.

But if some one has not fully engaged the cam lever into positive engagement of the notch, the skirt can come away from the clips since the clips really only align the skirt to the wheel opening.
X2
:gba:
bowtie-trifive

·
Administrator
66,076 Posts
Hey John,

looks like things are getting closer and closet o finishing....

With the fender skirts i know what you're saying about the fitting and fastening of the fender skirts, it seems like there is no way they will hold, but seemingly they just do.

My mate had them fitted for a few years before selling his 57 HT and never had a problem, mine are stilling sitting in the garage waiting for me to get of my backside and prep and spray them, when i did a trial fit when i first got them i was thinking the same thing about them holding on especially at speed.

I guess if your worried and they will be basically a perminant fixture then maybe a good idea to drill a couple of small holes into the lip and fix the this way, just makes things that little harder it that dredded time of having to change a wheel comes along on the side of the road...

Since your taking way too long to get them fitted would you like for me to get some use out of them :)

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Since your taking way too long to get them fitted would you like for me to get some use out of them :)
Nice try Ange, but i have this set as this winters project so they will be at least be ready and fitted for this years NSSR Rod Run to Malwala...

But if you are after a set i think someone on fleabay is selling a set, although could be asking a bit much as i got mine for $150 in great condition, just have so spray them i a colour to suit.:tu

1 - 9 of 9 Posts