Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got my fenders/inner fenders all bolted up properly and ready for installation:). I still have some work to do on the engine, wiring, brakelines, etc. My question is WHEN should I go ahead and put the front end pieces on:questionmark: I can't really finish my wiring or plumbing without having the inner fenders in place but the thought of leaning over the fenders to work on the engine scares me. I need everything in place for the battery, radiator, etc. What's the proper procedure? The assembly manual says to put the fenders/inner fenders on as a unit. I've seen some cars with just the inner fenders in place but it looks a little tricky to slip the outer fender over it without damaging/banging everything. Thoughts and suggestions appreciated:1zhelp:. JIM.

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
52,894 Posts

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sequence.

David, I have the book and I have my radiator support, front splash pan and fender tie-bar pretty much bolted down. I got out of sequence somewhere along the road and now I'm at the point where my engine is not totally complete (AC, pulleys, elec.fan, etc.) and if I put the fenders on as they say I'm gonna have to finish stuff in the engine bay while leaning over my fenders. I guess I'm just gonna have to do it that way. I was just hoping that there was some other way to finish up the engine work before I put the painted parts on. I was wanting to run a few things up under the fender like some of the guys have done---kinda hard to do without the fenders in place:). The adventure continues. JIM.

·
52,894 Posts
I'm with 'ya Jim.....Good plan.....Get as much as you possibly can get done, before the fenders go on......I think I'd put the left fender on first, sice it has all the wiring harness stuff.

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Great idea.

I'm with 'ya Jim.....Good plan.....Get as much as you possibly can get done, before the fenders go on......I think I'd put the left fender on first, sice it has all the wiring harness stuff.
You're right. I could at least get some of the stuff run if one of the front fenders was in place. Leaving the 2nd one off as long as possible is a good idea. Thanks!:) JIM.

·
Trifive Automotive Electrical Wiring Expert
27,084 Posts
Thanks Terry, glad to hear it can be done that way. :smile:

·
52,894 Posts
Man that's some red Don....What is it?:confused0006:

Haven't seen red like that one, since this 55:

·
Premium Member
1956 chevy 210 del rey sedan
14,553 Posts
I would just put as much on the engine as you can then get some old blankets and fold then into quarters and lay over the fenders to protect them . you can hold them in place with the blue masking tape:bowtier:

7,080 Posts
Thanks Terry, glad to hear it can be done that way. :smile:

Don, your build to me is just amazing (course I like red) as is your help to folks with electrical probs. :bowtier: Regards Lloyd

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks guys.

Jim i installed the inner fenders first and then installed the fenders later. No big deal to do it that way from what i encountered.
Terry
Terry/Don/David...glad to see I'm not the only one that doesn't fully follow the assembly manual. The one BIG difference is you guys know what you're doing...I'm wingin' it :). JIM.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Jim, I installed the radiator support and inner fenders first too on my '57. I also installed the vent tube into the fenders but not the part of the tube that mounts to the firewall. It was maybe a harder job with the vent tube mounted but not impossible. For starters, I would recommend two people for the job. It would really have helped get things in place with the extra set of hands. Fitting the fender up and over the inner fender was a little bit of a hassle. The trickiest part of the whole process was getting the vent tubes all hooked up and the rubber boot over the joint on the tubes. I put the rubber on one side and rolled it back and then rolled it over the other tube after they were both installed. As the others have said, you can do it. Just take it slow and be aware that scratches and damage are a possibility so take precautions to protect any areas that need it. Good luck!

·
Administrator
49,962 Posts
Just take it slow and be aware that scratches and damage are a possibility so take precautions to protect any areas that need it.
Yep, if you`ll look through my pics in my cardomain link you`ll see that i used the blue masking tape on the edges of the pieces to try not to scratch them. I did real well except for a small uhoh on the rear fender edge. It was against the door and i forgot and opened the door., ended up with a small chip that had to be repaired.:eek:
Terry

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
Man that's some red Don....What is it?:confused0006:

Haven't seen red like that one, since this 55:

This one gives new meaning to
"clear coat.":smile:

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
If you're doing a Belair 57 be sure to put on the stainless fender moulding prior to mounting the fender.

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Good plan.

Jim, I installed the radiator support and inner fenders first too on my '57. I also installed the vent tube into the fenders but not the part of the tube that mounts to the firewall. It was maybe a harder job with the vent tube mounted but not impossible. For starters, I would recommend two people for the job. It would really have helped get things in place with the extra set of hands. Fitting the fender up and over the inner fender was a little bit of a hassle. The trickiest part of the whole process was getting the vent tubes all hooked up and the rubber boot over the joint on the tubes. I put the rubber on one side and rolled it back and then rolled it over the other tube after they were both installed. As the others have said, you can do it. Just take it slow and be aware that scratches and damage are a possibility so take precautions to protect any areas that need it. Good luck!
Thanks for the sound advice. I definitely will have one of my sons with me when I attempt the fender installation.

Terry, I've used so much of that blue tape that I smell like blue tape.:) Will definitely be using more for this "phase".:) JIM.

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Dunnit.

If you're doing a Belair 57 be sure to put on the stainless fender moulding prior to mounting the fender.
John, thanks for the reminder. I did that already along with my "Fuel Injection" flags. :)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts