Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some ideas on how to add mufflers to my fenderwell headers on my 56 150. Can anybody post some pics? Also, has anyone tried the 3-disk Car Chemistry header inserts in their fenderwell headers with a turnout tip?

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
Look at the Sanderson Headers. They sell and nice adapter thing that bolts to the end of your fenderwells. The other end can be capped so you can remove 3 bolts and have open headers and there is a pipe welded to the middle of the adapter where you can run to your current exhaust. Also check out 2 Loose's web page as he has a sweet fenderwell exhaust hook up using remote opening collectors so he can go fully open with a click of the switch!

·
Registered
227 Posts
I need some ideas on how to add mufflers to my fenderwell headers on my 56 150. Can anybody post some pics? Also, has anyone tried the 3-disk Car Chemistry header inserts in their fenderwell headers with a turnout tip?
Thought about using those inserts, haven't done it yet. My collectors are slip on and don't have flanges. Currently running them open. I like the sweet music they make.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Probably a little too loud and sweet. I had heard of a story about a guy with a 55 that had the CC inserts with turnouts. A police officer had pulled up alongside him and noticed that he had these open looking headers, but did'nt write him a ticket because it was'nt too loud. don't know if this is true or not.

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
Probably a little too loud and sweet. I had heard of a story about a guy with a 55 that had the CC inserts with turnouts. A police officer had pulled up alongside him and noticed that he had these open looking headers, but did'nt write him a ticket because it was'nt too loud. don't know if this is true or not.
As long as you're not being "stoopid" I think the police will leave you alone if you run open headers. I have cutouts on mine had them open and was sitting at a stop light, it is loud, louder when accelerating, and the cam gives it a definite rumble/lope, when a patrol car pulled alongside me the cop just gave me a grin and thumbs up. We were side by side when we left the light...

·
Registered
20 Posts
I once tried a set of the 3 disc Car Chemistry diffusers on a stout big block Corvette with side dumps and unless you took a reading with a decibel meter,
I couldn't detect a difference using them.

Those suckers did not make a bit of difference as far as I could tell, neighbors still summoned the cops everytime I pulled the car out of the garage to do something to it.

I wound up taking them off since they didn't make it any quieter, your results however may vary.

Gibby

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
I once tried a set of the 3 disc Car Chemistry diffusers on a stout big block Corvette with side dumps and unless you took a reading with a decibel meter,
I couldn't detect a difference using them.

Those suckers did not make a bit of difference as far as I could tell, neighbors still summoned the cops everytime I pulled the car out of the garage to do something to it.

I wound up taking them off since they didn't make it any quieter, your results however may vary.

Gibby
My friend Rob tried them on his T bucket...same thing not much difference...he pulled them off and just runs open headers now

·
Registered
738 Posts
I don't have a lot nice to say about the fit of my Sanderson headers- you can do a search and find my posts on the subject.

Having said that, the Sanderson collectors are the best collectors I've seen for fenderwell headers. They've got a very slick deflector built into the block off plate to help exhaust flow.

The first picture is about the best pic I have of the exhaust routing. From the collector the exhaust actually routes towards the front of the car a bit. The frame bends upward there and I routed the exhaust under the bend to increase ground clearance. From there the exaust routes normally towards the back of the car.

Here's some pics of the collectors:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts