Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Will fenderwell headers work on a car that is not raised up as in gasser ? Will it clear the front wheels ? I was thinking about using them and figured it would reduce underhood temps...:blowtiedb:

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
it depends...what kind of fender wells you are running...i put some on my 55 with the stock a arms and a steel head bbc. the bbc lowered it about two inches...i had 205 70's at the time...the 70's were too tall and would rub on turns...so i went to some 60 series profile and they fit after that...but i was already on my way to gasser status when i bought the headers.

bbc patriot fenderwells stock front suspension with 205 15 60's. 3 inch lowering blocks in the rear.

obviously no clearance issues with the straight axle and bbc headers and 205 15 70 in the front.

are you gonna run a sbc?

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the reply..I'm looking at the patriot headers, it's a bbc..My front tires are 27" tall 15x4 welds, for the price I might try them and if they don't work could always resell them..:blowtiedb:

·
Registered
499 Posts
I've been thinking about doing the same (on a lowered car) - the issue seems to be more how does one run the rest of the exhaust rather than tire clearance. Running the exhaust down the outside of the frame rail its going to hang lower than what I want I think. Do you know what you're going to try?

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've been thinking about doing the same (on a lowered car) - the issue seems to be more how does one run the rest of the exhaust rather than tire clearance. Running the exhaust down the outside of the frame rail its going to hang lower than what I want I think. Do you know what you're going to try?
Not yet I'm not done with the body just thinking ahead when I get to that point about the headers I'm going to run...

·
Registered
108 Posts
Not yet I'm not done with the body just thinking ahead when I get to that point about the headers I'm going to run...
I was going to start a new thread asking this same question. Do you have an update on the fitment of these headers. I currently have a BBC and the Patriot headers. i am mocking the motor up for mounts and it looks like there will be some issues with the headers clearing the front tires unless I move the motor back quite a bit and up. How is your motor mounted?

·
Registered
530 Posts
With the Patriot BBC fender well headers you get what you pay for! My first pair leaked at the collector they looked like a junior high metal shop welding project. Second pair the right and left side had a difference of six inches from the fenders interfering with the passenger side. Measure both sides to make sure you have a pair that are somewhat close to each other.

·
Registered
439 Posts
That a loaded question Kshults.

Headers have dependencies on nearly everything -- so what worked for one build may not work well for another build.

Location of the motor is a key element. The motor mounts themselves can offer clearence issues too. Manual trans vs. Auto makes a world of difference, and if the original transmission frame mounts called "frame horns" are still in place also makes a difference.

Aftermarket heads can raise the exhaust ports -- some headers on clear on stock cast iron heads while other headers only clear on aftermarket heads.

There can be a different solution for every build....its that convaluted

·
Registered
196 Posts
Has anybody used Speedway's fenderwell headers? I've heard they are a Patriot knockoff but haven't heard about any quality differences.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Just installed a set of Speedway chromed headers on my '55. Just bought the car and was replacing the ugly old rusty headers.

I feel the quality was fantastic. Was extremely pleased (and surprised) to have them bolt directly on with zero modifications. Even the existing exhaust system bolted directly up to the Speedway collectors. Could not be happier!

·
Registered
196 Posts
Dang, that's sweet Biggus! Thanks for the info and especially the pics! I think that is the direction I'm going in as well. Except, I'm going to try and keep mine low to the ground like Hypurr Dbl Nkl. Hope it works!

·
Registered
108 Posts
Dang, that's sweet Biggus! Thanks for the info and especially the pics! I think that is the direction I'm going in as well. Except, I'm going to try and keep mine low to the ground like Hypurr Dbl Nkl. Hope it works!
I would suggest getting the uncoated version. I have the Patriot headers and they have major interference with the tires. Granted I am using a 27 inch tall Firestone pie crust tire and 2 inch drop spindles, but I am definitely going to have to modify the headers.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I was going to start a new thread asking this same question. Do you have an update on the fitment of these headers. I currently have a BBC and the Patriot headers. i am mocking the motor up for mounts and it looks like there will be some issues with the headers clearing the front tires unless I move the motor back quite a bit and up. How is your motor mounted?
No up date sorry, still on the body work.. I set my engine in the stock location with Williams side mounts.. I hope I can still go with fenderwells.. I have 27" tall m/t front runners also with stock type springs with 1 coil cut on the stock spindles.. Let us know how yours works out you are further along than me, my hours at work has greatly slowed my progress..:blowtiedb:

·
Registered
499 Posts
Fenderwell Headers in lowered car

I decided to do some experimenting. Speedway had a set of their headers in the garage sale section for $150 so I took a chance. My 55 is about as low as it can be (~4" to crossmember in front, maybe a hair less) and my BBC is down ~1-1/4" and back ~1" from stock location. As you can see from the pics the pass side fits quite well - the driver's side, even though it looks like it fits, does not. The front header bolt is not quite threaded in and the #1 tube hits the a-arm. Now, the tube can be moved but since the driver's side head is forward there is not enough clearance to the tire (all tubes and the collector need to go back ~3"). I am running rack and pinion and you can see the headers clear the steering shaft easily. So, do I try to modify the headers or just have a set built from scratch and place them exactly where I want them. Even though the pass side clears, if I built them over I'd put in a little more clearance on the #2 tube to the a-arm. Still not sure how I would run the rest of the exhaust w/o it hanging down to low. -Bob

Turns out the pass side hits the tire also when turned to the left!

·
Registered
108 Posts
I m in the same boat. Those headers look identical to the Patriots. I installed my BBC in the stock SBC location and still need the headers to move back. I think at this point I am going to build a set. Cutting the existing apart will be more work I think.

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
Will fenderwell headers work on a car that is not raised up as in gasser ? Will it clear the front wheels ? I was thinking about using them and figured it would reduce underhood temps...:blowtiedb:
I have 55 fenderwell headers on my truck. They clear the front wheels fine and I have no problem with under hood temps. :flag6:

Don

Attachments

1 - 20 of 25 Posts