Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Talking of rear ends, and this is slightly off topic, I have a 10 bolt posi from an early 70's Camaro. Now I popped the cover off of it and counted the number of teeth on the crown wheel, there are 41.

Trouble is I wasn't sure which set of teeth I needed to count next to determine the ratio, there are a group of gears in the centre, 4 facing each other, is it one of these I need to count? Anybody have a pic that would show me which one I should be looking at?

Thanks.

·
Registered
641 Posts
With the rear wheels off the ground and the trans in Neutral, you should be able to turn the driveshaft to rotate the diff. Look for a set of punched numbers on the edge of the ring gear.

You will come across a ratio stamped onto the gear. Yours will read "XX:41". Divide the 41 by the other number you see, and you will have your ratio.

And to answer your question, the ratio is the number of teeth on the ring gear in relation to the number of teeth on the pinion gear, (the one that the driveshaft is attatched to)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for that Don!

It's been so long since I worked on this old girl i'd forgotten a lot of the things I looked into in the dim and distant past. The axle is out and on the workshop floor so i'll have another look on Saturday when i'm up there.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just as a belated update it turns out that the gearing was in fact a 2.56! A lot lower than I thought and realised when I bought it, i'm sure the guy that sold it to me said it was a 3.73 or thereabouts, trouble is it was several years ago now so too late for a complaint! That'll teach me to check in future! lol

Now while i'm on the subject of rear ends i'm about to put an original '57 rear end back in my '55. The casing has been stripped, cleaned, and powder coated and is ready for refitment, can anyone remind me if there are any rubber spring pads between the axle and the leaf springs on these earlier rears, in the same way that there is on the 70's Camaro axles, or did they not have such sophisticated technology back in '55?!?! lol

I checked the parts catalogues but no one lists anything so i'm guessing there aren't any?

As I said previously it was a long time ago ('x' years) that I took it all apart and i'm only now reaquanting myself with her again. :eek:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts