Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:adore:I tip my hat to you guys who paint for a living and I have a fresh appreciation for nice paint jobs. After FOUR attempts at getting a nice finish on my fenders, I think I've finally done it. (and I haven't even wet sanded or rubbed out yet :)). During the process I learned a few things that I'd like to pass on to anyone who may be as much a novice at painting as myself.

1. No matter how much you like your dog (or cat), don't let them watch you paint.

2. Never, never forget to degrease your item before you paint--especially after you stuff your fat face with onion rings from Sonic.

3. Tell your neighbor not to raise the stinkin' dusty garage door during the painting process.

4. Even if it looks dry enough to touch, keep your fat fingers off of it for a couple hours.

5. Don't clean your gun out in the same area as the piece you've just finished painting.

6. Buy twice as much paint as guys who do this more often say you need.

7. Cover everything within 50 ft. of your painting--especially stuff your neighbor shouldn't have even left in your shop because he was too lazy to take it home and then blames you for getting paint on it.

8. Never leave 2x epoxy primer in a brand new Iwata gun overnight.

9. Keep the work area dust free and if you live in Florida, be careful to keep small tree frogs out of your shop.

10. Moving a finished piece by sliding the work-stand across a tool-laden floor is not a good idea.

Hope this helps someone. JIM.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
Looks good Jim. :congrats: :tu When I sprayed my frame my Dad had me wet our garage floor first. He said that it would help hold any dust on the floor.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Jim that looks great! What were you going to do with all that extra time anyway?

:sign0020:

·
Registered
30 Posts
One thing I learned while painting my wifes Fatboy, if your hair is long keep it in a pony tail. It only takes a slight breeze for it to end up on a piece hanging nearby (have since cut my hair short again).

·
Registered
41 Posts
Hi Jim I couldn't have said it better myself !!!!!!! been there done that!!!!! best we learn from our mistakes
Parts look good!!!!
Bob (1957 carnut)

·
Premium Member
3,663 Posts
Now that you know how to paint,You can visit me anytime(just bring your paintgun):sign0020:

·
Registered
865 Posts
Awesome Jim..:congrats: Sorry i couldnt help but smile reading your post. Been thru the same thing myself. For me mistakes are the best teacher. The one about the epoxy left in the gun is priceless.:D

Couple of mine..Never paint at night with the garage door open. A moth flopping around in your fresh paint sucks. And never forget to blow out the little nooks and crannies, before you start to spray. Having that stuff blow out into your fresh paint isnt good either.:eek:

Mike

1 - 20 of 34 Posts