Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, after forever and a day sitting in the garage I finally got my sway bar installed.

I used the 1.25" Hellwig. Nice unit - grey hammertone powdercoat with black brackets.

Simple to install in concept but it took me longer than it should have. Measure 3 times and cut twice is my motto. :rolleyes:

I had a heck of a time getting the front bushing brackets on. The nuts with washer that came with it were a little big to fit properly and had to end up taking a cutoff wheel to provide a little more clearance. I'm surprised they come with that tight of fitment. Kind of like trying to get bolts started in small block headers - really tight. In addition, the brackets each had a different finish on them and they had a tiny bit of different shape. Didn't seem right and I thought about hitting up the Hellwig guy for some replacements but wanted to get it done.

I didn't lube the front bushings. Should I have? I was spending all my time trying to get the dang nuts started and when I finally did it I didn't want to take them off to lube the plastic bushings.

I'm also a little concerned about the nuts provided. They are supposed to be locking type (with the little ridges on the washer surface). Will those suffice? Should I have used Loctite on the threaded bar also?

Nice time to ask, huh? :confused0006: Welcome to my world.

Drove it around afterward and it drove ok and didn't squeak or anything. It has been so long since I had it out I didn't have a basis for comparison in my memory banks. I swerved around a bit at speed and it stayed pretty flat so I think mission accomplished.

·
Premium Member
5,625 Posts
Do I need to lube the front bushings or not?
My experience says, yes. My front sway bar started skeaking about a month after I installed it. I ended up removing the rubber bushings and lubed them with white lithium grease. Its been quiet ever since.

Jim

·
Trifive Facebook Admin
10,610 Posts
I have the same bar on mine. I never lubed mine and they don't make any noise, if they did I would do what Jim did.

Randy

1 - 5 of 5 Posts