Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
12,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We just finished this one last week. It is going under a 57 Nomad with a Ramjet 502, T56 Magnum, narrowed late Dana 44, and late C4 corvette front and rear suspensions with QA-1 coilovers. The AME crossmember supports a 3" exhaust system. We had to narrow the rear of the frame 3" so we just fabbed new frame humps from 11 gauge steel.

Attachments

·
Registered
987 Posts
Nice! How many have you done so far? Soon you will be famous in the car business. :)
I started to disassemble my rolling chassis today. Finally it is time for paint...

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Laz, I like the way you narrowed the frame just in the rear wheel area. That looks like it will allow for a nice wide tire and wheel combo. Nice work.
What is the owner going to do, paint or powdercoat the frame???

Gil

·
12,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
This is #15 so far....we have #16 3/4 of the way done already....It's a straightforward build. Then we have 3 more after that one. Two are front ends only.

The narrowed frame will allow for a 3" narrowed C4 rear and a 345 tire. It's basically set up just like the one under my Nomad, except for the AME crossmember. I also had to lower the k-member slightly in this one to keep the Ramjet manifold under the lower 57 hood. :eek:

Honestly, I wouldn't recommend that anyone powdercoat a frame. Most of these have some damage and need to be repaired. The clip has 24 large plug welds into internal reinforcement plates. While they can be ground smooth, and the joint smoothed, it's not perfect. Powdercoating shows every wrinkle and scratch. I would recommend filling, sanding, then painting with urethane to get a nice-looking frame. Mine has epoxy primer followed by a coat of Slick Sand which made for a nice smooth surface. The factory wrinkles are filled with a thin coat of body filler.

Here's mine showing the narrowed rear, and the smoothed frame ready for final primer and paint:

·
Registered
496 Posts
Also, if you powdercoat it can be chipped off by stones/rocks etc and can't be touched up.
If you paint at least you can touch it up..

·
Registered
66,324 Posts
nice job, looks great. :five:............your going to have to give up your day job soon. :D

·
Registered
4,784 Posts
Well no wonder you haven't gotten your car done.
You've been busy on everyone elses. :D
BTW if you have one of those left over that you're just going to throw out...:rolleyes: :sign0020:

·
Registered
155 Posts
hey Chevynut, great looking frame! That 502 is going to put some serious strain on that differential. If you are looking for something stronger than the stock Dana 44 we do offer one. There is some info on our products page.

http://www.newmancarcreations.com/products/

kyle

·
12,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks Kyle. I have see your products several times and you guys build some nice stuff. I kinda figure if an 11 second Viper can run a stock Dana 44 on the strip it should work behind my 502 on the street. I don't plan to race the car. If I run into problems, I'll check yours out. I heard the weak link is actually the stub axles if the diff holds up.

What exactly have you done to strengthen the stock D44 HD?

·
Registered
155 Posts
Thanks Kyle. I have see your products several times and you guys build some nice stuff. I kinda figure if an 11 second Viper can run a stock Dana 44 on the strip it should work behind my 502 on the street. I don't plan to race the car. If I run into problems, I'll check yours out. I heard the weak link is actually the stub axles if the diff holds up.

What exactly have you done to strengthen the stock D44 HD?
Thanks for asking,
it is a Dana 44 that we have increased the wall thickness on and increased the webbing material around the front pinion bearing. We use a quality US based foundry with the best materials and heat treating procedure. All the machining is done by a high end company that is noted for machining mostly aircraft components, specifically helicopter parts. The main bearing caps are billet made and held in by ARP studs, nuts, and washers.
We only use Dana internals, with the exception of an optional Eaton Truetrac limited slip unit.

For the most part what you said about the stub axles being the weak link is correct. What we offer is the best shot at not breaking a differential. We have seen more aluminum axles twist than stub axles and for that reason we offer carbon fiber axles and drive shafts.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts