Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

Fire Extinguisher

2K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  hotrodg726 
#1 ·
I have a Halotron extinguish I bought a decade ago. Luckily it’s never been used. The gauge seems to imply that it’s charged and the weight FEELS full. Likely OK or should it be recharged regardless? Any experts in the house?

I haven’t weighted the unit yet - no accurate scale. I’m just not sure if TIME alone is a reason to recharge?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
What are your needs for it?

I don't think those are the best for under-hood fires as they work best in an enclosed area like the interior of a car or your shop when the doors are closed.

Halotron don't have as good as effectiveness as a Halon but neither make a mess.

The ones to stay away from are ABC type. For under-hood use, a BC or Purple K probably make the most sense. I keep a Purple K in all of my cars.
I wouldn't mind having a Halon for the interior of my Bel Air. Maybe I will get one sometime.

As far as yours being old, I wouldn't worry about using it as is.

#4 ·
Thanks Roget. Good info. At the time I was told this would be a reasonable choice for a flammable liquid fire (gas/oil/grease) and electrical. With that, I bought a a small one for the interior and a bigger one for the shop. I will be testing circuits and such soon, so I thought it best to inspect my extinguishers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

#5 ·
At my work we have annual fire extinguisher service done. I brought my Halon extinguishers in and the tech said they never need service as long as the gauge is in the green, unlike the powder types that settle and become a solid chunk in the can. he said never to have a powder one in the car because the driving caused it to compact into the solid chunk as well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.