Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was taking a pleasure cruise in my 57 yesterday and had the great experience of running out of gas. I was only on my second tank of gas since getting the car,and the needle only showed at a little less than a qtr of a tank. Had a buddy take me to get some gas, and after getting a couple of gallons back in her, my buddy decided that we needed to prime the carb since we tried to start it without gas too long. I jumped in to turn her over as he dumped(too much) into the carb. I start seeing a glow from under my hood through the windsheild. Needless to say my heart was pounding as I jumped out of the car and ran to the front. My buddy was getting the gas can away from the car as I smothered the flames with my shirt I had yanked off. It appears no damage other than my heart still pumping too fast for my age. It did a wake up call on me to be more careful though with the car.

·
Registered
6,404 Posts
Dumping gas into the carb, now THAT'S not too bright! Next time try spraying a little carb cleaner into the carb BEFORE trying to start it, NOT DURING!

Glad to hear you got away with it this time!

·
Registered
961 Posts
I too went for a ride in my 57 yesterday, I too was very low on gas cause I'm installing a new tank this week end. I didn't run out, but was very worried about it on those last couple of miles of the home stretch. Reading about your fire made my stomach roll...glad everthing turned out ok. What a heart stopper.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
YEah , but it was pretty dumb to poor gas like we did. Good thing the engine was cooled off or it would have been a lot worse

·
Registered
181 Posts
Glad to hear you, your friend and the car are ok. I have a friend that has several antique cars and we were talking about how if I let the 57 stand without starting it up for over two days I must prime the carb to get it to start ( looks like that Carb kit I have needs to be used). I had been using gasoline from a five gallon can, but as you know , that can be a bit awkward and some time you pour/spill a bit much. My friend said he just keeps a little squirt bottle around with a bit of gasoline in it for that purpose. I tried that out and it sure is handy. Just a squeeze and it gives ya just what ya need and there is no spillage either. The bottle I use is about half the size of a bottled water with the same sort of top that pulls up to open and then pushes down to close. Just passing along what I thought was a super idea.

Steve

·
Registered
15 Posts
Putting out fire with gasoline

Hello just fired up my 57 yesterday, same old school way with the gas can in the carb trick. i think its better then lipator any how tooker for a ride got half way around the block lugnuts were a little loose and the tire iron hanging in the garage since last week were i put a couple coats a paint on it. Glad every things OK for you .

·
Registered
623 Posts
Glad you and your car are both OK. Could have been a real disaster.
Long cranking times to get the engine back up and running, after sitting for a couple of days or running out of fuel is a common problem. The stock fuel pump is trying to create enough negative pressure (Vacumn) in the tank to pump fuel line to allow atmospheric pressure to fill the the fuel line with fuel.
Unfortunately, at cranking RPM, It takes a long time to achieve enough negative pressure for this to occur. In the meantime, If your Ignition system or engine electrical system (Battery/Starter motor/Solenoid) are not up to par, you will end up with a dead battery before the engine starts. Even If your electrical system is up to par, this extended cranking (Current Draw) shortens the life of your battery/starter motor.
Priming the engine and having the engine fire up (No pun intended) allows the fuel pump to cycle faster, thus creating the negative pressure in the fuel line quicker than at cranking RPM.
One solution to this age old problem is to instal a low pressure (No more than 6 PSI ) inline electric fuel pump and wire It to the accessory side of the ignition switch. As soon as you turn the ignition to on the electric fuel pump charges the line to the mechanical fuel pump. Then one or two cranks of the engine and your off and running.
Although I do not condone priming, It can be done safely If the following proceedures are followed;
NEVER DISPENSE GAS IN AN ENCLOSED ENVIRONMENT. ALWAYS DO THIS OUTSIDE IN A WELL VENTILATED AREA.
SAFETY FIRST AND ALWAYS.
YOU NEED AN ASSISTANT TO HELP WITH THE PRIMING.

1) If car is inside garage, push It outside.
2) Have a fire extinguisher and plenty of shop towels available.
3) If you do not have access to a squirt bottle then remove the plastic top off a can of spray paint. Fill this top( in a well ventilated area/Outside) 1/4 full of gas
4) Remove the air filter assembly.
5) Have your assistant get in the car. Do not turn on the ignition switch.
6) If the car has been sitting a few days, the carb choke valve is closed and needs to be held open. Finger pressure is all It takes.
7) Slowly (Do not spill gas on the engine or ignition system) Pour 1/2 of the gas in your spray can lid directly into the carb airhorn with the choke open.
8) Set the cap with the unused portion of fuel , on the ground some distance from the car.
9) With rags and fire extinguisher in hand have assistant crank the engine.
( The fuel you just poured into the carb, while maybe not enough to keep the engine running, should be enough to fire the engine.)
10) If engine fires and stays running great.
11) If engine fired and Quit, carefully repeat above proceedure, untill it starts.

CAUTION: IF while priming you incure a backfire through the carb and the carb catches fire, wrap your shop towels around the carb to Cut off the oxygen supply to the fire. This should put out the fire If above steps have been follwed.
This last tip is a last resort and only to be used If you have a fire in the CARB.
If you do not have a shop towel or fire extinguisher available( You should not be priming If you dont but human nature as it is), and after following the above steps carefully,you incure a carb fire, open the choke valve and have your assistant open the carb throtle valve wide open while cranking the engine.
If the engine is of good compression, the downstroke of the piston creates enough negative pressure in the engine( Vacumn) for the flame to get forced (Atmospheric Pressure) into the engine. FIRE OUT.

Good luck and Safe cruisin to everyone.

Horst Urbaniak
57 Chev Rag
57 Sedan delivery
57 BA 2 dr htd
57 BA 4 dr sedan
59 348 fact air Parkwood wagon
64 Biscayne 2 dr
www.classicbowtie.com

·
Registered
150 Posts
Glad both you and the car are OK. I poured gas down the carb of my 4 door, but I didn't have any fire going to my plugs so it wasn't a problem. I think when I do get my ignition straightened out, I'll try a different approach.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts