Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My husband and I are having this debate and I need opinions. We are working on our 56 Nomie and I want to fill the firewall. I think it just looks soooo much cleaner.

He says it will take away from it's value and that if we ever have to sell it he wants to leave it so it can be put back to original if need be. So let's hear it. Does it matter, value wise, if the firewall is filled or not?

·
Registered
170 Posts
Your user name says Deb's 56 Nomad.
End of debate.... :sign0020:

For me it would depend on the build and whether I planned on keeping it or not.
If you are building it to turn a profit later on then leave it stock. If you are one that holds on to vehicles forever, build what you want.
He is right that it would bring better money later on in stock form.

Good luck
KK

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
Depends on the quality and continuity of the build. If you're not sure, then you shouldn't.

·
Registered
11,156 Posts
If you are thinking it will be returned to original one day and resale value, leave it original. If you plan on it being a custom build that you plan on keeping then IMO build it the way you want. I smoothed mine, and couldn't imagine it any other way.

7,082 Posts
I think it makes no appreciable difference in looks either way (beautiful). Just what you like. Passing on to the kids, either way. If it a complete numbers matching restoration for a 100 point car investment leave them stock. :bowtier:

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
My husband and I are having this debate and I need opinions. We are working on our 56 Nomie and I want to fill the firewall. I think it just looks soooo much cleaner.

He says it will take away from it's value and that if we ever have to sell it he wants to leave it so it can be put back to original if need be. So let's hear it. Does it matter, value wise, if the firewall is filled or not?
Your tires and wheels are not stock, so you have already crossed the line.
IMO, go for the power brakes, go for the sway bar and go for any upgrades including the firewall.

If the car is 100% stock it will end up sitting in a museum.
Cars that are updated are driven more, IMO.

·
Registered
37,239 Posts
Let's see. A non-stock firewall in a stock car detracts from its value.

A stock firewall in a modified car detracts from its value, at least at some point.

A Nomad's value (or for that matter any 55-57) is based primarily on condition and workmanship. A nicely done modified car will always sell for more than a stock original.

·
Premium Member
5,798 Posts
I've always said that unless it's a super RARE automobile, build the car the way YOU want it to be. Not what someone else wants you to do. I agree with Rick, most nice modified cars, sell faster and for more money. If you plan on keeping and driving the car, who cares, it's yours.:anim_25:

·
Registered
899 Posts
people are turning towards the modified cars more than the stock cars. the more people i talk to like modified over stock. but in your husbands favor, the nomad is getting to be a rare find these days. it still is your car. enjoy it. jeff

·
Registered
67,715 Posts
build it the way you will be happy, life is to short (like my sig says). :tu

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Firewall

Debs, When I go to car shows the firewalls that are smooth and have a polished stainless steel cover on the firewall always looks like the owners have given more attention to detail. I looks better and cleaner with a smoothed firewall. When we get started on my Camaro it will have a polished stainless, beautified fire wall and the windshield wiper system will be out of sight helping to eliminate "Stuff" on the firewall. Send us pictures when you get it done.
Larry From Tulare

·
Banned
2,069 Posts
I like as few of modifications as possible to things like firewall. Smooth firewalls or worse yet stainless or aluminum just dont look right to me. This modification rates down there with 18 and 20 inch circuswagon wheels.

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
I like smooth firewalls on a modified car- also like homemade inner fender wells- just different, I guess. But.... it is mine-- as yours is yours.

·
Premium Member
7,740 Posts
Two things you dont screw with firewalls and dashs. I find smooth firewalls very unnattractive.
I left the firewall alone, but hate to burst your bubble, switched out the 57 dash for a 55, and would not change it back for the WORLD.....

as far as the firewall is concerned, the last time you looked at the title, i bet it had your name on it, it is your car, make it how you want it, i sure did with with my 57, and the NAY SAYERS can go pound sand, i do not see there name on my title..... what ever you do, just makes sure YOU ARE HAPPY WITH IT......

:anim_25:

Rick

·
Registered
7,275 Posts
I left the firewall alone, but hate to burst your bubble, switched out the 57 dash for a 55, and would not change it back for the WORLD.....

as far as the firewall is concerned, the last time you looked at the title, i bet it had your name on it, it is your car, make it how you want it, i sure did with with my 57, and the NAY SAYERS can go pound sand, i do not see there name on my title..... what ever you do, just makes sure YOU ARE HAPPY WITH IT......

:anim_25:
I hate to bust yours but thats inly the start of the changes I would make like front clip and taillights.
Rick

·
Registered
116 Posts
If your firewall was all beat up like mine was then yes i would smooth it. But if there is nothing wrong with it leave it the way it is.. But your the one that has to live with the changes.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts