Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was a senior in High School, 1968 and owned a 1960 chevy convertible, tri-power carb, 348. It was my main ride but a neighbor had a 55 sitting under a shed with a bad auto trans. Older guy and the car looked almost show room, 55 belair hdt, green and ivory. I had to change to standard shift of course and went to a 4 barrel carb set-up and dual exhaust. It put some kick into the ol 55 and I was to young to know what I had, abused the car, I kringe when I think about cutting the hole in the floor board for the stick shift. Long story short, I had a flat and must not have gotten the lug nuts tight. I remember a little vibration and thought a u-joint was going out. I was winding out of a curve in 2nd gear when the left rear wheel come off. Spun out and crashed into a hill side backwards. Totally trashed my first almost cherry 55. I was to young with no body work skills so I sold it to my uncle for a work car. He hammered out the rear quarter and fixed the rear brake assembly and drove it for several years as it was.

If I knew I was going to live this long, I would have taken better care of myself!:(

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How are you doing Mike, old is a relative term, me I am 55 going on 16, mental age anyway. Can't seem to get that fuel and oil out of my veins. Still love them old cars, even if I am getting to old to wrench on them.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Had it and did it.

All through High School I drove my 55 Chev post that was the nicest car in school. When I went into the military in 65, I gave the car to my brother. He immediately sold it and it was wrapped around a tree in two weeks. Hind sight is 20-20. Had a great car that I spent all of $450 for ......my current 56 has almost the same amount into it if I added two more zero's......and many hours of labor.
Enjoyed your story
Mojoschev

·
Registered
4,668 Posts
I had a '57 Olds 2 door sedan. Try and find one today. They are out of site and out of my budget. I got my 56 last September for 2000 but will have a great deal more than that in it when I get it on the road.
Dave

·
Registered
46 Posts
Nice Car

Old,come On Now .I'm 57 And Feel Like I'm 85-- LoL. Love How You Did Your Ride. I Got The Twin!!!! It Came From Kentucky.

Doug (i'm A Vet Also) 68-71 Big Red One, Ist Infantry Div

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I need to start acting more my age, I have a built 427 in mine right now and am changing over to a streetable 350 sbc. I can't stay out of the pedal on this set up and its getting expensive taking it to the doctor. I am going to miss that big block rumble! Just cruise now I reckon!...lol

Almost forgot, Combat Engineer, 69-70, did all my walking in dozer tracts...lol

1 - 8 of 8 Posts