Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 20 of 1413 Posts

·
R.I.P. Sept. 8, 2018 Senior Member 2 Gol
2,665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
55 3100 Build

I thought I'd start a thread on my truck build. It's been about six months and haven't gotten as far as I would like but I'm sure having fun.
I've had an awful lot of help, advise and inspiration from the great folks here and I look forward to hearing from you.

So anyway, this is what I started with and it was mostly torn down when I got it. The PO lost interest and it sat for a few years in his garage. And before you ask, no I could NOT have found a rustier one!

Got the rest apart and started in on the frame, found a few spots where rust had gone through and had to make a patch or two.

Bumper Automotive exterior

Have the suspension mostly done now (C4) , just need to finsh up sway bar links and placement.
Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Chassis Auto part
Auto part Vehicle Machine Engine

Sure wish I hadn't waited so long to take on a project like this, I am absolutely loving it! Finally got it back on wheels, man I like seeing the progress.

UPDATE: Here it is almost done five years later.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
I know what you mean about grinding skills !!! I go through way more grinding disc than I do any other supply's...:sign0020: Keep at it and enjoy what you are doing...

·
Registered
3,061 Posts
Glad you are having fun with it......Looks great so far!:tu:tu

Eugene

·
Registered
55 Posts
What brand IFS is that? Send more pics more pics more pics...

·
Registered
68,209 Posts
nice work, looking good. :tu

·
2,665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the encouraging words. Yes, that is the flat-out engineering front and rear with the earlier 84-87 suspension. Some guy by the name of BAM recommended them very highly! Don at Flat-out is a real nice guy and doesn't mind giving your tips and help.

I only get to work on the truck about every other weekend because it's at my cabin. No room at home! When I get up here I'm on a mission though.

Mostly working on the cab this weekend but will post plenty of pics.

Erwin:
I'm still thinking of a cool tag line... NOW THAT'S FUNNY!

Suede48:
I spent about 2 hours today filling the the 1 inch gap between the a pillar and the cowl, grind, fill, hammer, grind, oops burned through, fill, grind, curse. The second one took me ten minutes...nice fresh flap disc. lol.

·
Registered
15,587 Posts
Turning wrenches,having fun,feeling satisfied,and pressing on.It doesn't get any better than that.Your next break is on Super Bowl Sunday :sign0020:
Its looking good.:tu :tu :shakehands: :anim_25:
Big Bob:flag4::bowtieb:

·
2,665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Turning wrenches,having fun,feeling satisfied,and pressing on.It doesn't get any better than that.Your next break is on Super Bowl Sunday
You got that right Bob! God bless America! I did sneak out of the barn for a little bit today to watch my favorite QB throw it away. I won't name names. Ouch, man that one hurt.

·
2,665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Made some progress this weekend, nothing really exciting but I got pictures! Everybody loves pictures!

Filled in the holes in the floor. I'm doing a 90 deg swing pedal, so don't need brake and clutch holes. I'm going to close up the column hole once I get it set.

Cleaned up the firewall a little more and shaved those felt gasket housings for the pedals down below.
Vehicle Car Glass Automotive exterior Auto part

Patched up a big hole where the PO had clearanced his shifter. Actually I did that a while ago. Come to think of it, that took way too long. Lots O bends! Really stiffened the floor back up though. Still have to patch the bottom side when I get the cab flipped.
Glass Metal

Fixed another clearance job for another shifter I guess. I have a three inch offset on my shifter so it should put me in the clear for putting it the hole in the trans cover. My trans cover looks like swiss cheese, I think might be better off timewise just finding a replacement.
Footwear Hand Auto part Finger Darkness
Tire Rim Automotive tire Auto part Wheel

All in all the cab and doors are not in too bad of shape. Next is finishing steps and another cab corner and hanging doors.

·
2,665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Sweet project, it is so much fun..
I've got a 50 50 chance but if you're talking about Manning I was so bummed..
Thanks man, it sure is fun. Yep, Peyton...

·
Administrator
66,654 Posts
Nothing like enjoying time on your build especially when things do not go according to plan, looks like your have a great time :tu

·
Premium Member
10,931 Posts
The more I see these Tri-Five trucks, the more I want one. If I can muster another build, I'm thinking either a truck or a station wagon. Nice going!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Thats funny, I have the same patch on my floor from a previous shifter location except mine was about 3-4 inches to the left, right into to floor reinforcement too. I also had a butchered trans cover, had like 3 to 4 different holes in it and it was the kind where someone took to the time to drill a thousand 3/8 holes to make the cutout, very jagged.. I bought a used one and welded up one quarter inch hole.

Looking at your pics doing all the metal work was the most fun I had, kinda miss that part now, looking sweet though!

·
2,665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The more I see these Tri-Five trucks, the more I want one. If I can muster another build, I'm thinking either a truck or a station wagon. Nice going!
Thanks a lot. It's a start, got a loooong way to go. Just looked up your 57 pictures and what a sweet looking ride! Great job. I love that tan and red.

1 - 20 of 1413 Posts