Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Got my new Iwata LPH400 gun in the other day and being a rookie thought I'd try something simple first with these small pieces. Then I was going to move onto an old hood I got next. Pleased with the outcome of these though...

SPI epoxy, SPI regular 2K, Pro-Spray base, SPI Universal clear

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
That is the gun i hope to buy when ever I get closer to painting. Pictures?

·
R.I.P. Sept. 8, 2018 Senior Member 2 Gol
2,665 Posts
From another rookie

I just got one a few weeks ago and will be using SPI as well. Haven't decided on base yet. Did yours come with a metal cup or the 3M PPS throw away stuff?
Did you have any problems at all?

Pictures would be a plus :sign0020:

For some reason I can't follow the links you put in.

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
i use the iwata disposable cups. like them much better. the iwata will pay for it's self in material savings alone. not to mention is uses less air and will help a novice lay down paint much better. when someone tells you a 150 dollar gun will do just as good dont believe it .
starting set up for the lph400 with a 1.3 or 1.4

6-8 inches off panel
fan wide open then close 1 turn
fluid 2.5 - 3 turns out
base 18-20 at the gun wall wide open
high build or clear 20-25 at the gun

adjust from there to suite you speed

·
2,665 Posts
i use the iwata disposable cups. like them much better. the iwata will pay for it's self in material savings alone. not to mention is uses less air and will help a novice lay down paint much better. when someone tells you a 150 dollar gun will do just as good dont believe it .
starting set up for the lph400 with a 1.3 or 1.4

6-8 inches off panel
fan wide open then close 1 turn
fluid 2.5 - 3 turns out
base 18-20 at the gun wall wide open
high build or clear 20-25 at the gun

adjust from there to suite you speed
Good info but you forgot the last part - call porchdog when it doesn't work :sign0020:

·
Registered
5,101 Posts
That gun will make you feel like a pro... if you lay it down correctly. One more tip I'd like to add to Porchdog's list: Overlap 50%
:anim_25:

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Man, I'm sorry....I posted some pics when I first put this out, but then 56Mark says he can't see em, so I go to a new IE browser and I don't see em either...what the heck...let me try again....Let me know if you can't see these.

vc1.jpg
vc2.jpg
vc3.jpg

Gotmotors, mine came with the metal cup, may try those throw aways later on. I had a few issues, but that's why its called learning rite... Had a couple of solvent pops on the first coat of epoxy. Just dusted over them once the coat dried, let that dusting dry, then hit it with another coat which covered it fine.

Almost embarrassed to admit this one.... Biggest pain was when I forgot to turn my compressor to turn on automatically when pressure is low, so when I was spraying the epoxy, air pressure dropped and it ended up splattering the epoxy on which caused all of these pits everywhere...oh man, it looked like the moon !! No biggie I said..that's why God invented sandpaper, right ! So that caused a lot more work than necessary, which is why I ended up having to shoot the 2K trying to level it off. I probably should of put down another coat of 2K as I ended up with a few small pits in the paint job, but I knew that it probably would. I was like...these are valve covers, put down the paper and move on, knowing that when it came to the car, I would put in the extra effort.

Other than that what Porchdog said is sooo true, this gun def helps a novice out. I actually bought this gun from the recommendations of both Porchdog and Roger1 and many other posts that all raved about this gun and how it'll help a novice and not to waste your money on a cheapo HF gun. So I'm sure there are others out there who can do a fine job with a cheapo gun maybe, but I'm of the opinion that I need all the help I can get so why not?? Had a buddy who has done many, many paint jobs and even he was impressed on how level it came out.

And thanks for those settings Porchdog, I actually found those settings from you on another topic, and is what I used on the gun for this first time with my 1.4 tip! But didn't know about adjusting it for the clear, I'll try that on my hood that I'm practicing on now....started sanding it last night as a matter of fact ! I just set it around 20-22 and left it there for everything...epoxy, 2K, base, clear. But I'll keep playing with it...really enjoying the whole process though!

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Porchdog, I meant to ask you this...funny, when I got my SPI products from Chad (thanks for that tip Roger1), he also sent me a booklet on all the tech specs for the SPI products. And on this booklet is that 55? corvette on the cover of it that is in your avatar !! I was hey....I know that pic ! LOL...is that your vette or is that the one from the SPI tech booklet ? :sign0020:

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
not to mention is uses less air and will help a novice lay down paint much better.
I did want to add on that comment....I was quite amazed how little air that gun does use. My compressor hardly turned on during the painting of these four pieces. It's a Quincy 60gal 5Hp unit....

On everything that I've been reading about with guys doing their paint jobs at home, some really get almost clinical in how they set up their 'booths', making some crazy surgical like settings. Now I will say I'll probably do a little more when it comes time to do my car, but for this I did it in a 2-car garage with crap everywhere, no sealed off plastic tarp everywhere, had a dog, scratch that, a WET dog running in and out, garage door open with just a floor fan sucking out the fumes (yes I did have a nice face mask on), dirty floors, didn't even change out the papers I was painting on between the different products...you would be aghast at the conditions I did this in...but my point being is that when using this gun, it hardly blew at all so it didn't throw up all the dust like I thought it would before starting this... AND I didn't get a single piece of trash in any of the pieces ! Was amazed...maybe just beginners luck, I don't know..but there ya go.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I just got one a few weeks ago and will be using SPI as well.
gotmotors...if you haven't discovered the SPI forums yet, I would highly recommend going out there also...LOTS of good info and really nice people there, Barry the owner of SPI I think? actually posts out there a lot and really puts forth the effort to help out. Guys actually call him with the spray gun in their hands for help...his suggestion !! http://www.spiuserforum.com/forum.php

·
2,665 Posts
...Other than that what Porchdog said is sooo true, this gun def helps a novice out. I actually bought this gun from the recommendations of both Porchdog and Roger1 and many other posts that all raved about this gun and how it'll help a novice and not to waste your money on a cheapo HF gun.
That's the same reason I went with it, good recommendations from porchdog and Roger1 mostly, never heard anyone say they didn't like it. (and I figure I need all the help I can get too). I'll cheap out on less important tools.

Nice job on the valve covers and air cleaner! That is a well dressed motor now. :congrats:

If it ever warms up around here, I'll be trying my hand at it soon. It's the middle of August and the low was 49 last night fer cryin' out loud!

·
2,665 Posts
gotmotors...if you haven't discovered the SPI forums yet, I would highly recommend going out there also...LOTS of good info and really nice people there, Barry the owner of SPI I think? actually posts out there a lot and really puts forth the effort to help out. Guys actually call him with the spray gun in their hands for help...his suggestion !! http://www.spiuserforum.com/forum.php
Yes sir, been lurking there for quite a while now. Great info there and you have to admire a business owner who gets that involved in customer support. Plus he likes old vettes. :tu:tu

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
my avatar and the catalog pic are the same 57 vette . i built it for my banker several years ago. it is going to the mecum auction in dallas first weekend in sept. he's shown it for several years and it is either drive it or sell it.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
it is going to the mecum auction in dallas first weekend in sept. he's shown it for several years and it is either drive it or sell it.
Cool...I'll be watching that one as I always get emails from Mecum ! Sure it's out of my price range though... ;) Plus I'd be driving the wheels off of that thing...just gorgeous !

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
If it ever warms up around here, I'll be trying my hand at it soon. It's the middle of August and the low was 49 last night fer cryin' out loud!
OMG !! Are u kidding me ?? When I did these valve covers this past weekend, we had a record setting heat wave come thru...had to of been 100 degrees in my garage !! (need to get one of those temp/humidity gauges in there)

...learned a lesson there too !! Note to self ...get a sweatband when painting!! Had a drop of sweat fall right on my 3rd coat of base...awwwwww!! Freaked me out...ok...dont panic...hit it with a light blast from my air nozzle which took care of it...pffffeewwww!

Althought when I do my car, I think I'm just gonna wait till fall or winter to do that ! Porchdog recommendation .... ;)

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
i try to paint in fall or winter. i can keep my booth at 75 all winter even with the fan going. 70-75 is the perfect temp for me and i use slow acc .

wear jersy cotton gloves when you work. keeps hand prints off the steel and traps sweat in summer. latex gloves are a disaster waiting to happen.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
i try to paint in fall or winter. i can keep my booth at 75 all winter even with the fan going. 70-75 is the perfect temp for me and i use slow acc .

wear jersy cotton gloves when you work. keeps hand prints off the steel and traps sweat in summer. latex gloves are a disaster waiting to happen.
Boy...thanks for that tip !! I bought some of those latex gloves and you aren't kidding !! My hands would be dripping sweat within minutes of putting them on. Once I took them off, my hands are literally soaking wet from perspiration....

I was using SPI reducer #885-1 Slow for base and SPI #4003-4 Slow Activator for clear.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
1 - 20 of 23 Posts