Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am sure this is ranked as a dumb question but being a beginner at metal fab I would like to know the correct procedure from the experts on this site. I really don't want to remove the engine transmission or all the gas line if there is a way to cover it from a rouge spark. how do the in and out body shops handle this? I would expect them to just work around the stuff - but i am assuming - lol. I do have a couple pin holes close together where rust has formed and made a couple holes and it is a little weak. it is in the drivers toe board and in the passanger toe board area. I will be cutting a piece of metal out approx 3x3 to remove and replace each area. I may find more area's but that is what I found for now. The transmission being so close on one side and the fuel line being so close on the passanger side I am conserned and raising this question before i start cutting the area with a angle grinder, I will be welding with a flux core/ mig welder. Please advise.

Thank you very much for any help, I plan on starting tomorrow cutting the areas out ad I would like to be safe within my means.

·
Registered
5,956 Posts
Dan, if the sparks or heat worry you, cover them with something. Scrap piece of metal, insulation or anything that won't burn that will fit.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks ts I appreciate the feedback - yes I am concerned. I do have insulation from HVAC with shiny metalic on one side and the other side fluff - is this insulation completely fire resistant? if so I will by a ton of it to cover every thing i am concerned about. Thanks for your feed back!

·
Administrator
49,951 Posts
I am sure this is ranked as a dumb question but being a beginner at metal fab I would like to know the correct procedure from the experts on this site.
The only dumb question is the question not asked.
Terry

·
Registered
37,975 Posts
The simplest approach is to use sheet metal - forget the "insulation" and whether it will burn. A sheet metal barrier between the welding and what you want to protect will work 98% of the time. The real question with whatever you choose is whether you cover enough of what you want to protect.

I wouldn't worry too much about steel lines. Flammable or meltable lines like rubber or plastic need more attention. Or anything else flammable, like upholstery or floor/body insulation.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Thank you! You guys are the best! I am a little more at ease now and will take the need safety measures. Having a little one in the house and working in our attached garage for the winter , I just want to make sure everyone is safe. Thanks!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts