Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1956 Belair Sedan, Resto-Mod, Many Upgrades
722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all,
Decided to upgrade my 39 year love affair to fuel injection...worked on it for five days (am 73 years old), changed out my s/s fuel tank for a Tanks Inc. fuel tank with internal fuel pump. It all actually went very well. The AN fitting hoses were a snap to make up using the tool sold at Summit...by Koul Tools! Cutting an access panel on the trunk floor was a good thing to do!

The changeover went very well as I made a checklist for all my steps...and it kept me on track. All went well till Power Up, one line on the return was a little loose, tighten it up. No Leaks...

Fuel sending unit was reading backwards on my Dakota Digital gauge...removed the sending unit, checked the empty and full ranges and they worked backwards with my sending wire hooked up. Hmmm...maybe a shorted wire? Dummied in a long wire from the DD Controller to the sending unit post...applied power....the gauge read normally! Installed the sending unit reapplied power...read good! I say these things to help someone who may be having issues with fuel tank reading wrong...run you a long wire from gauge (on a regular dash cluster) or digital controller to your sending unit...you will be surprised!

Rods56

·
Registered
132 Posts
Good info to know. I have been considering changing from carburetion to a Fi Tech unit myself.
Have you driven it enough to get an opinion yet on the FiTech unit?
Any issues with it so far other than the gas gauge problem?

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have been thinking of doing the same thing to my 57. What was your total cost? Keep us up to date on any problems and mileage. Bobby:anim_25:

·
Registered
775 Posts
Also looking at the Fitech. Have to let us know how it's running...

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Good luck with he FiTech.Had it to 3 different places in 6 months and could never get it to work reliably. Went back to an 1406 Edelbrock no problems now!

·
Premium Member
1,051 Posts
You may have more available hp than the model you bought will feed. I've heard that an additional buy is needed over 450 hp so that you can get into the fuel and spark maps.
Stanley

·
Premium Member
2,268 Posts
Installed FI Tech with the tanks inc fuel tank & pump! Been running about 1000 miles now only problem I since installing is I put the tach wire on the negative side of coil so the computer was always adjusting itself due to dirty RPM signal, after talking with tech about it they knew just what the problem was so I then connected RPM wire to the proper gray wire coming off the MSD distributor and it runs better then ever...Gonna long haul power tour this year so it should be a good test

·
Premium Member
1,051 Posts
Cool. Hope you will keep us informed! F.I. Tech's seem to be pretty darn good units.
Stan

·
Registered
67,777 Posts
thanks for info. :anim_25:

·
Registered
775 Posts
I'm hoping to go Fitech or LS and do a leg of the power tour in a couple seasons. Make sure to fill us in on the FI and your trip.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Ran a Fitech carb replacement on my big block and now the ultimate LS on my LS1. Got to say if rules dont dictate carb I would always run a self learning system

Attachments

·
Administrator
1957 Bel Air sport sedan
9,085 Posts
This is good info. Both my 57 and my 60 Pontiac Bonneville will get the FiTech retrofit.

·
Registered
935 Posts
I installed be in my 69 Camaro SBC. Took it on a 400 mile, one day trip a few weeks ago with zero problems. Sure is nice not having to do a pump-3-times-crank-3-seconds-repeat-as-necessary ritual to get the dang thing to start.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts