Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just striped my hood today, I thought it was going to be a non event, well after removing the paint I fing some body filler, and a little rust also. The problem is how to remove all or most of the warped areas, example left rear corner about a foot foreward, and a foot in from the side is an area depressed about a quarter inch, it's about the size of a dinner plate, the other side of the hood has the same thing, a little smaller in size, and the center where the rib, or raised part runs down the center dips a little in the center, how is the best way to work these out ?, thanks Ron

·
Administrator
1,297 Posts
Hi Ron
With out photo's I'm going to take a wild guess how this damage can easily be reversed. It sounds like the center reveal (center raised part of the hood) is down low enough to cause stress on either side of the hood. Now this may be way off with out a visual but the hood may have flipped up real hard and while the car was in motion or some one or something has fallen on it . Either way one of the best ways to head into this repair If possible take a 2x4 and make a T shape with the edges of the top part of the T sharpened so it closely resembles the reveal. now place that under the hood with the T facing front to back of the hood. Now if at all possible you need to cause pressure down on the hood , best way is while still hinged to the cowl. Tie the front of the hood down until the center raises. Now the dents or stress of to either side you will see an eyebrough around the outer edge of the damage. {lace a dolly in the deepest part off the damage and take a slapper or a flat piece of wood and slap the high part of the eyebrough. The deepest part of the damage is the stretched are and will soon need to be shrunk. Now you can pop it up but it will try to return back to the down position. If you have success in raising it you can add mild heat to the area and quench it with a spray bottle of water. Now the heat can be achieved by taking your grinding pad and turning it inside out and pass over the area till just before bluing occurs and then quench. The stretched are will tighten up and slow but sure the damage will reverse. There other tools for this job but the ones I have mentioned are the ones that most can find in a home garage of the enthusiast. You can refer back to some of my early illustrations for some more straightening technique's, if possible take some photo's and we can better analise the damage and set you on the right track. :D

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Steve, I will email a few picturers directly, I am not set up yet to post photos on the List, thanks Ron

·
Administrator
1,297 Posts
Hi Ron
Just wanted to check up on progress? I did get to look at the photo's you sent me but soon after I had the mother board go out on me . From what I could see you discribe the damage well. The information I wrote in the thread above would do the repair nicely. most of the damage looks as though it can be reversed with a slapper or (hammer) and dolly. I would start with an easy dent first and work your way up to the more difficult. Keep us posted so we can help you threw and ask questions. It realy dont take long to get the knack for straightening. Watch the metal as you do your repair and you will better understand what you need to do threw each step. I will be posting more techniques on metal finishing. So stay tuned. :D

1 - 4 of 4 Posts