Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
51,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to buy a flat bed scanner....Don't think I want an All-In-One....Needs to be a flatbed, as I am scanning in magazine articles to put on CD....I see that they are priced from under $100 to over $300....(kind of partial to HP products)

Would like some reviews and recommendations....THANKS, as usual, guys

·
Premium Member
3,598 Posts
Here at school we have pretty much stopped using individual scanners. We use document scanners. For those that do require a flatbed scanner, such as scanning a magazine article, or a page out of a textbook, we use a large copier system. I am also partial to HP, but they don't seem to hold up as well as the Ricoh. HP is good for smaller applications, but if I were doing a lot of scanning, I would opt for a little better scanner such as a Ricoh - and if you can, try to find a laser printer versus an ink-jet. If you are wanting color copies, it would be too expensive to go with laser. Hope this helps some.

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
I would look for a model that conforms with the vintage of your operating system. If the O/S is not the latest, there are some good bargains on eBay - even if you have to wear a few of them out to complete your project. If you're on Win8, you need to buy the latest model.

·
51,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
THANKS for the inputs thus far guys.....Been very helpful :)

·
51,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Any other recommendations? There has to be more members with flatbed scanners.

·
Registered
2,588 Posts
Dave ; We've been happy with the all-in-one , a Canon MX860 inkjet , although the scanner-top doesn't disjoint like some of the others . I too am partial to the HP product-line , but use the copier-scanner so much we needed the Canon 5-tank option so we could fill our own cartridges . Hope this helps . Be safe...Bob.

·
Premium Member
911 Posts
Flatbed Scanners

For the money I don't think you can beat the All-in-one devices and I am also partial to HP. Probably neutral on most other brands except Cannon, we just had so many issues with Canon ink cartridges that I would not buy another one.

Your choice depends a lot on how technology enabled your household is. If you have 1 computer and no plans to add more pretty much any scanner will do. If you have more than 1 computer, or a computer and some smart phones definitely consider getting one that connects to a network so all devices can access it all the time. Most newer all-in-ones support direct printing from smart phones, in some cases even cameras over the network and make life so much easier.

Our house may be close to one extreme, everyone has their own computer and smart phone, plus tablets. Our HP all-in-one can print from any device and all the computers can scan items on it, not to mention that it has a sheet feeder for scanning multiple pages. I believe we paid about $150-$160 3 or 4 years ago at BJs for it.

If you belong to Costco or BJs they tend to offer some pretty good deals on these things.

·
Premium Member
1,879 Posts
I have a Canon Lide100. It's thin so I tend to store stuff on top when not in use. Just lift the top and hit scan, real simple.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
lately, it seems every brand is not worth it!

I used to use HP, but after 3 different "all in one " took a dump, and customer service was the worst I've ever experienced! I went with epson, its been good, but come to find out they are known for printer heads getting messed up, and yes, mine did to! so I looked around and read ALOT of reviews, ( price is an concern for me) finally ended up with a Canon MX452.
easy set up, easy wireless connection, has a flat bed and paper feed set up.
only draw back, color ink is 3 in 1, not separate colors,
but, quality is the best I've had with any previous printer.
wife and I both use it, it has good reviews, cost was very reasonable ( $69 at Fry's electronics, on sale)
so...... I expect it to last few yrs and die just like all the rest, LOL

·
51,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Dave ; We've been happy with the all-in-one , a Canon MX860 inkjet , Bob.
I looked around and read ALOT of reviews, ( price is an concern for me) finally ended up with a Canon MX452.
Bob and Cruzn57....IRT the Cannon All-in Ones....Can I scan a magazine page without tearing it apart? Or do they only scan sheets of media?

·
Registered
2,588 Posts
Dave ; the magazine scanning isn't too bad , but a page from the middle of a big Service manual comes out shaded where the light leaks out . When in doubt , ask to do a demo while in the store . Be safe...Bob

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
I have an HP all in one. Three years old. I have been using non HP ink cartridges for the last four cartridge changes because HP puts very little ink in their cartridges. I could only get about 25-30 pages of print from the black cartridge. That's ridiculous! I have it set for "draft" not the highest quality print. I could get 50-75 with my old Cannon. I talked to someone who worked for HP a few years ago and he said they are in the ink business. They can give printers away and make their money selling cartridges. Now I believe him. My printer is now corrupt and will not work. I get an error message that says cartridge error! Unauthorized cartridge! I had two different tech geeks try to fix it last week without success. It is going in the trash in the next few days. And that will be the end of my HP printer experience.

If you want it you can have it. The scanner works. It is in good shape and was never overused. You just can't print because of the Trojan horse HP planted inside to trigger corruption if you use someone else's cartridges. You cannot work around it or out smart it either.

Don

1 - 13 of 13 Posts