Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

Flipper Installation

9K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  Ray Hart 
#1 ·
Looking for the proper way to install the flippers on my '56 2 drht - that I just had refurbished. Plus any info on how the front and rear seals for the flippers are installed.

Rayzor

#3 ·
These are tricky to fit and have operate correctly – the need to remain dead strait or they will bind. (Not the best design GM ever came up with – a straight flipper fitting to a curved roof line.)

Re the rubber stops, the rear are positioned so the closed faces are outward; the front positioned inside the flipper channel with the thicker folded tab running around the inner side of the flipper and the thinner tag running down the pillar. NOW, it pays to shave these to fit, because they are otherwise too bulky and will prevent the front of the flipper from closing correctly (and bind). Mikey suggested to me that taking 1/3 of the material off the outer side of the front rubber stop will do the trick, and having taken mine off yesterday to do the job, I can see why. There's just too much material in these repro pieces. I'd be shaving off the three raised ridges, and then 1/3 of what's left. And then trial fit them to ensure they are snug, but not compressed when in place.

Other than that, the usual fitment issues will apply:

Do not over tighten the middle screws to the roof, as this will put a curve in the hinge.

Try a silicon spray lube along the hinge.

Work the in/out positioning of the slots in the flipper – to keep outwards pressure on the vent window when closed.

Start the install from the rear screw first, then the front, then the others.

Consider a soft and narrow neoprene rubber strip along the line of screw holes to fill the inevitable air gap that will arise from correct adjustment and provide a bit of resistance for the screws in the middle of the flipper.

Good luck. It's tricky, but satisfying (beer time!) when you get them to work.

#5 ·
I used some small 1/8 inch rivet backing washers. I think it was 3 on the middle screw, 2 on each one out and none on the ends. I filled the gap with a caulking tape material that formed to the gap when it was snugged up against the roof line. You will see that if the flippers are not straight, they will bind up and not close all the way, or maybe one end will and the other won't.

You can put them up with just the front and rear screws and measure the gap for the necessary spacers needed.

To experiment, use the end screws with no others. It will probably work ok. Now put in a middle screw and tighten it up a little at a time. You will see the flippers will begin binding. A lousy design I suppose.

#6 ·
flippers

A lousy design is putting it mild. I did all the suggestions that have been suggested and I'm having a difficult time getting the flippers to work.

Surprised that prior to the flippers being rebuilt - they actually worked but truly needed rebuilding . i.e. missing and broken springs , and actuator.

I can get the flipper to work somewhat o.k. with the window down. However, with the window up , it won't work properly.

Which leads me to think - how did they do it at the factory ?? They came from the factory without shims ( washers) place between the flippers and the car body.

Oh well, I 'll try again tomorrow - perhaps I'll have better luck ???

Rayzor

#7 ·
#8 ·
Flippers

After days of tweeking this and tweeking that I missed the obvious - the passenger door is not hung properly - the wing window post does not come into the door pocket - it protrudes out about a half an inch - again - I missed the obvious !!! So on to the other side - where I met far more success - now its just a little adjustment here and there . Afterwhich its back to the passenger side to align the door. Ahhhh the joys of a tri-five.

Rayzor

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.