Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just curious...recently I went out of my way to help someone restore an old truck (other forum), and to get all the details (or as many details as possible) correct, for a very nicely done, correct stock, restoration. I'm talking about literally doing hours of research in my free time before going to bed, climbing over my truck and taking pictures for him, pointing him in the right direction when he needed those very very hard to find original parts, and stuff like that. I had no problem doing so, as I am only too happy to help out a fellow enthusiast...and he is a nice person, BUT, it has come to my attention that after one week of his truck being finished, it was put up for sale...and I'm talking getting close to six figures sale...

In retrospect, this has happened a few times now...and it has tarnished my willingness to help out as much as I use to. Now I wait to see them own the car/truck for a while, and see what they are up to.

I am wrong?? I mean...I love helping people out with their vehicles...in what ever little way that I can, but to help someone out (someone who acts like this is the car/truck that they have always dreamed of owning), and seeing them turn around and flip for proffit on other people's genuinely intended help...well...it is making me feel like I'm a chump...

Am I wrong to feel this way??

·
Premium Member
10,927 Posts
That would be a tough pill to swallow. But like giving a gift, once it's given, it's that person's to do with as they choose. As I said, it's tough, but in my opinion, you should let it go and move on.

·
Registered
67,738 Posts
i think after a few times of this happaning, i would feel the same way. :damnmate:

·
Premium Member
15,575 Posts
Been there ,done that. It is never good to feel used. It is a shame your "friend" took advantage of your passion for these vehicles. Just chalk it up to experience. Some people will never understand our commitment to trifives.

·
Banned
8,304 Posts
What goes around comes around.Maybe you will be blessed in the future.People use people every day for their gain.We have all done it.......some more than others.Now that I`m in my "WISDOM YEARS" I am consonance of the favors I ask and usually offer or give something in return depending on who is asking and the situation.Thankfully on bowtie-trifive most of us are more than willing to help no matter what.(POPS, Terry, Angelo and all participating members including but not limited to Nick P, Acardon and Rick L come to mind) Knowledge is power and it`s meant to be shared.Take that away and sometimes "A GOOD DEED NEVER GOES UNPUNISHED".Yet you did it and you should feel good about that.:congrats:

·
Premium Member
15,897 Posts
I have found myself in that situation more than once with the same people. I no longer help them out other than answering a question here and there. They are also the same people that when the rare time I would ask for a hand with something they always had an excuse why they couldn't be there.

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
I know how you feel. A few years ago I helped a friend that was interested in finding an old motorcycle. I found the bike for him, over the next SEVERAL months helped him restore it. It turned out great. Then it was gone, he sold it almost immediately. when I asked him what he had done with the bike he said he couldn't believe how much he had made on it. He said "I know why you do this now" and wanted me to find him another bike for "us"to restore. I never even looked.

Eventually several other things happened that proved he was not friend material. The last time I heard from him he was looking for a job and wanted me to help him get a job where I work. Nope.:flag6: Blake

·
Premium Member
13,595 Posts
I don't think what you're feeling is wrong Dean. Nobody likes to be "used". I'm sure that if the guy had been up front about the "flip" plan from the start you'd still have helped him, but most of us would assume that we were helping a "friend" build his own dream, not line his own wallet without sharing.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
I feel that if you helped out a lot and then they turn around and sell it.... They owe you some money.

If they keep it... They owe you some rides around the block.

When my buddy helped me finish out my drag car and followed me to the track to make sure it was all good. I handed him the proverbial key and let him make a pass.

·
Premium Member
1,859 Posts
I feel that if you helped out a lot and then they turn around and sell it.... They owe you some money.

If they keep it... They owe you some rides around the block.

When my buddy helped me finish out my drag car and followed me to the track to make sure it was all good. I handed him the proverbial key and let him make a pass.

I feel the same way. :tu

·
Registered
3,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
I just wished people would be honest and upfront...

I once helped my wife's cousin redo her entire hardwood floor. It was supposed to be just the kid's bedroom. A week and a half later, I was done. No one offered to even pay my gas. House went up for sale soon after...

Then my cousin asked me to do her floors...I was hesitant...but as a kid, I was always told to always be there for your family. I did the entire first floor...very intricate cuts. She was so happy, she got me a gift for the help, and they lived there a good 15 years after that...I felt good about that. She didn't have to, but I appreciated the fact that she really liked my work.

I never ask for anything. I drive my daughter and her friends around everywhere, and often buy supper if we are too late to bring them home cause we were just having a good time (we always call their folks first to let them know). I do it because I can, it makes me happy, and I don't want these girls taking the public bus alone or late at night (the world isn't what it use to be)...

I might be a sucker, but I like helping people when I can. I really don't have deep pockets, so I help with my hands most often...and my heart...and you know what I've noticed...the more you help people, it seems like the more they expect you to do more for them. Then, as was mentioned earlier...don't dare ask for even ONE favor, or you'll never hear the end of it, and your "friendship" will be lost. This has been one of the BIGGEST life lessons I have tried to teach my daughter, now, before she falls into the pit falls of helping too much. Isn't it so sad to have to even say such a thing?!?...

Knowing me, I'll still go out of my way to help someone else...just the way I am...but lately it just doesn't feel as "right" as it use to...

Thanks for all the replies...sad to see I am not alone...but good to have met some really good people here on trifive! :shakehands:

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Start charging, the requests will dry up in no time. Better you spend the time finding your Chevy.

·
Registered
3,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Do you do tiling? Say, I could use some help.......:sign0020:
lol...tiling, hardwood floors, plumbing, landscaping...all stuff I don't do at my day job! Currently building a kitchen from scratch out of mainly maple and poplar...I just love to work with my hands when I can :)

BTW, If you were closer, it would be my pleasure! :tu

As for a Chevy...I guess it will happen when it's supposed to happen...hopefully sooner than later :)

·
Registered
5,305 Posts
Well Dean...........if you need help with anything I am just a few hours away, I have been there and I know how you feel !! :tu

·
Administrator
66,133 Posts
You have done nothing wrong but help so good on you for doing that :tu

I wouldnt have changed a thing, but it would have been nice to know that there was a flip planned :)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts