Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to do a slight customization to my interior by adding a floor console from under the dash to wrap around the floor shifter. I have searched and searched and have seen some great consoles but no design plans at all.

I can create ideas like this in my head, but when it comes to putting it on paper and into reality, I get stuck. Anyone here ever did a project like this before or know where I might be able to catch a glimpse of some plans?

Help much appreciated!!

·
Premium Member
3,663 Posts
Dave,Have you done a search using the search button 3rd from left in the blue area @ the top of the page?Several members here have made some beautiful consoles.

68,758 Posts
:hello: hi dave and welcome. good to have you here. like o.f. said, try the search option above.

·
Registered
6,486 Posts
Welcome to the site. There are many Floridians on here but welcome from down the road, Sacramento,California.
Like Terry I started out with cardboard and made a mock up, it was not that difficult, try it. Nothing to loose but a little time.
This is a pic of the one for my 57. I moved my hand brake to the console to make it more operable because of the 6 speed.

This is one that I was working on for a member here but I was distracted by my car and he lost interest.

Jim

·
Registered
133 Posts
Floor console for 1955

I did much the same thing only used poster board from Wal-Mart to build the mock-up. It only take a tape measure, utility knife and masking tap.

After I got the look I liked, I took it to a local heat & air sheet metal shop.
These guys are good at odd shapes. Mine has a floor shift, tachometer, locking storage/armrest. The computer for the TPI is mounted inside the console. I'll post pictures when I get it back from the sheet metal shop.

Good luck.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)

·
Administrator
49,962 Posts
I see nothing wrong with that. Now you just need to figure out how you are going to transfer it to the final material. What are you going to use, wood?
Terry

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Console materials

Yes I plan on using wood at this time. Probably getting upholstered afterward. Sheet metal and fiberglass crossed my mind but wouldnt know how to make that happen more than wood.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Get the shape you want with the cardboard,then transfer it to wood.You could even sand and shape the wood with bondo then cover it with vinyl/leather/cloth or even prime and paint it.I'm going to be making a consol for a 55 out of metal soon,and will post some pics as it progresses.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Welcome to Tri Five. I have seen no plans either. I am mocking up a full length console for my 57 using cardboard for the mockup.
Terry

I’m looking for this same floor console but for a 55 Chevy BelAir two door sports Coupe
Can you please provide information where I can purchase this?

·
Administrator
49,962 Posts
I’m looking for this same floor console but for a 55 Chevy BelAir two door sports Coupe
Can you please provide information where I can purchase this?
It wasn`t purchased. I built it myself from scratch.
Terry

·
Registered
6,564 Posts
I use cardboard all the time to mock up various panels, and then trace it onto wood or metal for whatever I'm doing on my cars. Door panels, consoles, body panels, etc. All get heavy construction paper, or cardboard first, and then it's easy to transfer to the final material.
A console is often built from plywood, and then either covered with leather, vinyl, or just coated with fiberglass and painted.

·
Registered
842 Posts
There was a factory bench seat short center console in a 1961 Impala with a manual transmission. They are pricey, but look really sharp. Just another option for you. Jason

1 - 18 of 18 Posts