Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

Floor pan Question

4K views 16 replies 8 participants last post by  BIG-BLUE 
#1 ·
So I bought a new 1 pc floor pan to replace the old rusted out one in my 57 2 dr hardtop. I cut out the old floor picked up the body to slide the chassis out and laid the new floor on the chassis. The chassis is an aftermarket chassis made by Jim Meyer. The old floor fit was perfect other than being rusted out in places. So we set the new floor pan on the chassis and the floor pan does not set all the way down on the mounts. The chassis has cross bars in the chassis and the floor is hitting the chassis not allowing it to set on the body mounts.
My question is has anyone else had this problem putting a new floor on an aftermarket chassis? The body fit fine before And I have checked to make sure the correct floor was delivered. This is the 1 pc floor from Golden Star. Has anyone gotten a defect from them on the 1 pc floor? Is this something I will just have to modify to fit? Would the U.S. floor fit better in this application?
Opinions and thoughts greatly appreciated.
Brian

#2 ·
Attached are some pics of the issues. The one with the measurement was to see if anyone has that measurement and how it relates to what I have.
The pan is bolted down by the two back body mounts.

Attachments

#3 ·
Attached are some pics of the issues. The one with the measurement was to see if anyone has that measurement and how it relates to what I have.
The pan is bolted down by the two back body mounts.
What's holding the front up?
If the body fit the chassis before, I think you'll have to pull the floor down to the chassis and then attach the body. I don't think the full floors have any structural rigidity.

#5 ·
The body with the old floor was on the Jim Meyer chassis before and unfortunately it looks like Jim Meyer is out of business.
I threw the bolts in the # 5 body mounts to just see what it would do and that's where you see the front of the pan lifted. The 3rd pic shows where the pan is sitting on the chassis causing a pivot point that the pan rocks back and forth. It could be bolted down but it would flex the pan pretty hard.
Please correct me if I'm wrong but the pan should not be sitting on the chassis, correct just the body mounts?

#9 ·
If you still have the pan you removed. Compare the area that is an issue to it. Otherwise you will need to make changes to accommodate your frame.

Mikey

#10 ·
So it is looking more like a frame design issue than the floor pan. I think when I had the other 2 bodies on this frame the bodies may have added enough weight so they set on the mounts and the pan may have been on the frame and I just never noticed it before.
I have an early design of the Jim Meyer G4 chassis but later designs of this chassis are different and it looks like it may have addressed the issue. With Jim Meyer now at of business there is no way knowing for sure.
I'm wondering if any other members have a Jim Meyer chassis under their Tri Five?

#11 ·
So it is looking more like a frame design issue than the floor pan. I think when I had the other 2 bodies on this frame the bodies may have added enough weight so they set on the mounts and the pan may have been on the frame and I just never noticed it before.
Could you shim all the mounts with a thick block of aluminum or weld a block of steel to all the mounts to raise the body off the frame. Welding would probably be the better choice to reduce any shifting of the mounts.

#14 ·
body/ frame interference

I'm no expert on this, but it seems to me it makes sense to take measurements of the height of each of the new frame mounting points and the corresponding places on a stock frame. You may find that some mounts on the new frame are mislocated, and need to be cut off and re-welded at the height of the factory frame. Just my thoughts on this dilemma.

#15 ·
Big Blue , I installed a Golden Star floor and trunk pan with mini tubs on on my stock frame , The issue I ran into on the floor pan was one of the rear body mount holes was WAY out ! I got it to work but was a pain ! I don’t even want to go into the issues I am having with Quarter panels however I did on a post here if you want to check it out ... I am not sure about the G/S product and have received Zero support from them .
Thanks and Good Luck EH !

#16 ·
BB, I have my 55 frame naked, on a roto, and available to get measurements from.
LMK, if/what you need.

#17 ·
Okay so haven't had a bunch of time lately but broke away long enough to get this addressed and the pan fitted to the frame.
We notched the frame to give the pan the clearance it needed to sit down without rubbing on the frame and then drilled the opening in the 3A mounts bigger to give the pan room to shift so we could line up the other mounts.
I swear this chassis was one of the first built from Jim Meyer. Maybe even a R&D and that would explain the deal I got. Will see what other issues arise along the way.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.