Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Administrator
9,085 Posts
Well I will tell you what I did to replace mine, It may be wrong, and Hopefully you will get more advice from our more exoerienced techs on here, but here's my 2 cents worth.

1. Decide if you are going to replace full length floor pans or just just individual patch pans.

2. First thing to do is get in your new pans so you can see how much metal you have to work with some pans seem to be diffent sizes, next cut out the bad section leaving about an inch to 2 inches of lip so the new pan over laps the old pan around the edges, for support and also good welding edge.

3. when removing old pan like I said cut around the edge of pan to be removed leaving a lip, next you will see that then pan has spot welds where it is welded to the floor braces, some people drill thru the welds, I just used a pry bar and they poped right up for me.

4. next I cleaned and repaired the floor blaces if needed. Ground down the old spot welds etc. and then primered them with weld thru primer.

5. Next I layed the new pan in place and trimed any excess metel off the new pan as needed.

6. After laying the new pan in place a got under the car with a black marker and traced the outline of the floor braces on the bottom of the new pan.

7. I then removed the pan and drilled 1/8 inch holes along the out line to make sure that the weld spots would hit the center of the floor braces where I wanted them to.

8. I then put the pan back in place and welded all the spot welds Thru the Pre drilled holes.

9. I then welded around the pan with a spot weld every few inches as to not get the pan to hot I also used a wet wrag to help keep it cool.

10. Continue to spot weld around edges until I felt it was storng engough to hold the rest of my life.

11. Lastly I went back and ground down the wleds to make the floor smoth.

12. I then coated the pan with por 15

I may have done it wrong but I felt it worked for me.

Otis :)

·
Registered
6,404 Posts
Geez, Otis, if that was wrong, I'd have to say "wrong is right" sometimes! When, and if, I do my floor pans, I'm coming up to Ky to let you supervise me! Thanks for the step-by-step instructions.

·
Administrator
9,085 Posts
Thanks for your kind words it was my first job, so I took a lot of advice from several people before trying it, but I think it went well, except when I cought my coveralls on fire and burnt my right leg had to goto hospital and now I have a scare on my leg about 3 inches wide and 9 inches tall, so see how experienced I am.

That's why I always say seek other advice than mine, I try to do it the right way, but I am glad their are guys on here such as your self, Mike Mikeky55, Don , Prostreet and lots of others , that have many years of experience, that's why I love this site, get lots of advice, and then try it yourself. But just skip setting yourself on fire like I did..

Otis:)

·
Registered
146 Posts
I'm going to replace my floorpans on a 57 Hardtop later this summer.
( after I practice my mig welding ).

The back foot areas and the under back seat areas look ok.

All of the braces are all shot from the frame outward.

I am thinking about ordering the half pans ( full length front to back )
and cut them off in the middle of one of the back braces where the weld won't be seen from underneath.

Whatta Ya think ? Or would I be better off just using the whole new pans.

I would spring for the ( Gulp $$$ ) one piece pan with braces already welded if I thought I could install them while the frame is still on the car.

I'm going to be replacing the inner and outer rocker panels on both sides.

Don't have a rotissery.

Don Roden

·
Administrator
1,297 Posts
Hi Fischerw
Well I don't think I have much to add to Otis's Installation instructions :)
He seems to have covered it all . The one the I will say there are many ways to do a great job . Take what is going to work best for your situation.
Great repair and install Otis ........ya dun well.. :D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts