Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well made it out to the shop today and did some well needed cleanup and started to evaluate where I should start back up on the Nomad. I have the body still mounted on the chassis sitting on the rotisserie. Now the manufacture of the rotisserie claims the best way to do a floor with with the body and chassis still mounted together. Now I know what your gonna say is there's no way to fit the floor in and still have room to work/weld it. The way they have addressed this is to make body mount extensions. actually pieces of tubing with washers welded to both ends. You support the body with jack stands and remove the body bolts lower the chassis with the jacks on the rotisserie replace the body bushings with the spacers and reattach the body to the chassis, then make the necessary height adjustments so when you spin the car on the rotisserie you don't slam it into the garage floor.
Of course you need to do all the necessary inside bracing or at least I feel you should but they claim and now it's been a while since I read the instructions but they claim with the extensions you now have able room to r/r the floor pans and what better way to keep the body straight and aligned
then with the chassis.
Make sense to any of you or would you do it by separating the body and chassis and then remounting the body back on the rotisserie

I've provided a like to the companies site so you can get a better idea what I'm trying to explain

http://www.whirlyjig.com/

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Kinda what I thought, well not about the liability factor but I could be worng. I spoke to the manufacture which is one guy and his son and my feeling was he sincerely believes this to be the best way of doing it. As I mentioned it's been quite a while since I spoke with him so I can't recall exactly what was said regarding a full floor r/r.

Just be looking at it yesterday I think a full floor may be the way to go along with inner and outer rocker panels. Even though I owuld say most of the floor is fully intact and sound some key spts like the ends near the rockers and some brace secions are gone so yes it would be a lot more work and of course more money but the end result would be abrand new floor and you can't do better then brand new in my book. The jury will be out until I scrape up enough to send it out to have it media blasted, then I'll have a much better idea as to what I will be up against.

·
Registered
5,855 Posts
X2 on robert's comments. I have the Whirly and went to the mfgr to get it. He had a BIG Mope on the demo roto..Complete w/ frame, and spacers. Rotated w/ a light push...
I never used mine that way, for the exact same reasons Robt lists.....

As for costs.. It's not much more considering the added hours of drilling out welds, aligning bracing, etc.
I used a 1 pc floor, and was really glad I did.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts