Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 57' Handyman needs floors from toe boards to tail pan and I wanted to ask the pro's where I should start? I've purchased a "Taiwan" 1 piece floor pan with inner rockers (hope that was the right choice - price was right!) and also USA made toe boards (should be getting them both this week). As for the cargo floor it requires complete replacement as the spare tire well has been consumed and all braces are corroded. Should I begin with cutting out the original "1 piece" floor then bolt my new 1 piece floor onto my new chassis and drop the body onto the floor or should I begin with repairing the cargo floor area first?

·
Registered
604 Posts
I would start by replacing the most rusted out area first. If the floor and the cargo area are equally rusted then it doesn't make much difference, you can flip a coin.

Ernie

·
Registered
6,546 Posts

·
Administrator
1957 Bel Air sport sedan
10,401 Posts
The overseas floors are actually better made than the US made ones. You did well. You need to brace the structure by welding in some braces to keep the body square. Once that is done, then you can start cutting out the floor. If you don't brace the body first, it will come out of plumb/square and it will be like herding cats to get it square again.

·
Registered
14,233 Posts
Double check before you install the floor in your car

I bought a taiwan made floor and the nuts that are welded on the top side of the floor located towards the rear of the floor are not welded in the same spot as the other one.The drivers side nut is welded farther back towards the rear of the floor than the passenger side. Its a little over an 8th inch difference. I have not installed the floor in the car yet I was only checking the floor with another frame that I have. Doesnt sound like a big deal but is. After putting brand new body mounts on the frame I then laid the floor on the frame. I was able to bolt every location down except for the passenger side. I can not get the bolt to screw into the nut. It will not line up. Im going to cut the welded nuts off then bolt the floor to the frame then when the bolts are tightened down then I'll reweld the nuts to the floor. ALSO the frame mounts would not align side to side with the floor. I could get one side bolted down but then the other side you couldnt even see the nut holes to put a bolt into. I found that you need to spread the frame rails apart. I bolted one side then took my feet and pushed real hard then I was able to get the bolts in the nut holes. Have a friend help you out.:anim_25:

·
Registered
30 Posts
Just this past weekend I finally got a chance to put my "made in Taiwan" 1 piece floor in my 56 Handyman (after sitting in the garage for 2 years).

There wasn't much left of the original body sheet metal around the perimeter of the floor - so I can't say for sure how good the new floor would fit to the body, but it lined up with all of the body mounts on the frame just fine.

Not sure if it makes much difference, but I used a hardtop floor instead of the sedan floor.

I need to remove the rear seat riser, and I know that there is an extra set of braces underneath that aren't used, but the body mounts that I did use should be the same on a hardtop or a sedan/wagon.

Steve

·
Registered
604 Posts
I hadn't noticed how old the first post was!
I thought "Boy, this guy asks a question and then flies right at it!"

Nice work and I like that chassis.

Ernie

·
Registered
7 Posts
57 complete floor

I got mine from J&E Chevy in Florida for about $1150. They are close enough so I picked it up myself. Ed just passed away but Judy is still running the company. Yesterday I removed 95% of the floor. I'll have pics up on my website www.cruisinstyle.com in about a week. It will be under "Projects" It will show the braces I made to keep the body rigid so the new floorpan will go back in the correct place. I'll also be replacing the entire trunk pan. I have the roller frame complete and ready to go. That is on the site now - http://cruisinstyle.com/projects/100013/ It's not as hard as tou may think... Instead of drilling all the pinch welds I got some tools from Eastwood called "wackers" Put it on the welds and just wack LOL Worked fine. First I cut out the floor to about 1/2 inch from the seams and then just went along the seams with the wacker... Ray

·
Registered
926 Posts
I had the same exact problem with my Taiwan floor. The rear passenger side bolt was about 3/4 of an inch off, and would not line up. I ended up cutting the bracket off and moving it to the proper location, but all in all, it is a very nice floor, and I would buy one again.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts