Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now that I'm starting to drive my car, I really dislike the Flowmaster 40's on it. I must be getting old because they are much louder than I like. Anyone else feel this way? The exhaust shop said they could put Magnaflows on but I haven't heard them before. I'm thinking of driving over there in the morning and seeing what they can do. I'd also be alright with just a plain old muffler. My wife rode in the car for the first time this weekend and was terrified because of the noise. It accelerates briskly, too. :D

Jeff

·
Registered
19,595 Posts
I'm with you on that one... I do like my glass packs for a nice mellow sound... Later, Dave

·
12,256 Posts
Jemo, I personally would like to see you try the Magnaflows...that's what I have but I have not heard them. A friend had them on his car and he said they were too quiet. Not sure what he meant by that, I never heard them.

·
Premium Member
1956 chevy 210 del rey sedan
14,492 Posts
does your exhaust go all the way out the back ? I have flowmasters and did not have tail pipes . it was unbearable .I had tailpipes put on last week and it is way better .I have no interior except the seats. I am doing sound deadener and carpet over the thanks giving holiday and hoping for reasonably quiet . just my 2 cents :)

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Laszlo, you're very persuasive. Yeah, the exhaust goes all the way and dumps right before it gets to the bumper. Right now, it sounds like the early 80's Camaros kids had when I was high school. It's obnoxious.

·
Registered
862 Posts
if you want mellow, MAgnaflows are the way to go.. keep in mind, there are a lot of factors.. size of engine, size of exhaust, headers, etc..

·
Registered
3,647 Posts
Flowmasters 40's once for me is enough. I really like the SpinTech I have now :cool: From a lot of others it's been Magnaflows. I've rode with a few small block cars running Magnas and they sound nice also

·
Trifive Facebook Admin
10,610 Posts
I have the 40's on mine, SBC crate / 2.5 " exhaust, and they were too loud before sound deadner and interior. Still a lot of drone from them on the highway. I will be checking out Magnaflows or some basic Walker turbo mufflers as discussed on other threads.

Randy

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
52,747 Posts

·
Registered
933 Posts
I like the 40's. I ran them on my jeeps (no doors, no top), my '71 Cheyenne (headers, 2 1/2" pipes, exited just in front of the rear wheel wells) and currently have one on my '05 GMC Canyon.

·
Registered
488 Posts
well hello again, i thought the same thing when i put mine on, after a week i had the shop install a H pipe , that made a big difference i no longer got the resinense , no matter what mufflers you install you might think about the H pipe.

·
Registered
751 Posts
I have 40's on my car but have cast iron manifolds and they sound great. I had them on a car with headers and they were way to loud...

·
Registered
446 Posts
I had 40's - 55mike suggested Flowmaster delta 50's with a balance pipe - was good advice - nice blended streetrod sound - huge drop in inside drone.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts