Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 56 Bel Air, and I want to put some Flowmaster Delta 40's on it. My local muffler shop wants to charge like a $150 for each muffler, which I think is a little high, so I'm thinking about buying them on Ebay instead. My question is....how do I determine which ones to buy, or which ones will fit my car. Is it simply by matching the diameter of the pipes that connect to each other?

Thanks!

·
Registered
792 Posts
yes its that simple,if you got 2 and half then thats it , i think your muffler shop is on crack,determine your pipe size and order from one of our sponsers,mine are 2 and ahalf and bolted them on myself, i got 40s also and trying to remember what i payed. iam pretty sure both mufflers was way less then 150. rick

·
Trifive on Facebook Admin Trifive Leaders Club
6,152 Posts
how do I determine which ones to buy, or which ones will fit my car. Is it simply by matching the diameter of the pipes that connect to each other?

Thanks!
Yes you will need to know what diameter your pipes are and also take not of the position of the entry and exit on the mufflers themselves as Flowmaster have a huge variety ...
I went with the delta 50 series as they are a bit more mellow than the 40 series
I know a couple of people that used 40 series Flowmasters and have since changed them because of the drone.
:anim_25:

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
I have the FlowMaster 40's on my car and regret it. They're too loud for my tastes. They sound alright at idle and cruising around but when you put your foot into it, they roar more than I like. I have less than 100 miles on them though so I'm going to wait before I get something else. I'm leaning toward the Magnaflows when the time comes.

·
Registered
5,590 Posts
I have a 56 Bel Air, and I want to put some Flowmaster Delta 40's on it. My local muffler shop wants to charge like a $150 for each muffler, which I think is a little high, so I'm thinking about buying them on Ebay instead. My question is....how do I determine which ones to buy, or which ones will fit my car. Is it simply by matching the diameter of the pipes that connect to each other?

Thanks!
My local speed shop charged me $68 each for my Super 44 mufflers..your muffler shops been breathing exhaust fumes for too long with that markup :)

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have the FlowMaster 40's on my car and regret it. They're too loud for my tastes. They sound alright at idle and cruising around but when you put your foot into it, they roar more than I like. I have less than 100 miles on them though so I'm going to wait before I get something else. I'm leaning toward the Magnaflows when the time comes.
From what I've read though there is a big difference between the Original 40 series Flowmasters and the Delta series, do you know which ones you have? Because the Delta series are supposed to have fixed the interior drone problem that the originals had.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Yes you will need to know what diameter your pipes are and also take not of the position of the entry and exit on the mufflers themselves as Flowmaster have a huge variety ...
I went with the delta 50 series as they are a bit more mellow than the 40 series
I know a couple of people that used 40 series Flowmasters and have since changed them because of the drone.
:anim_25:
i have had all three types and i think you will want delta 50 series for your car. original 40's and delta 40's are still quite loud. i always enjoyed the excellent tone of the delta 50's in my wifes mustang.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
I have Flowmaster 40's the early series, and the installation and pipes from the shorty headers to the chrome tips was 250 bucks. Don't think inflation has gone up that much in a few years. I love 'em, get a lot of comments about the good sound. Charles :congrats::congrats:

·
Registered
3,392 Posts
From what I've read though there is a big difference between the Original 40 series Flowmasters and the Delta series, do you know which ones you have? Because the Delta series are supposed to have fixed the interior drone problem that the originals had.
I don't think there is a "big difference"... I've had them all.. and the Delta 40's had waaaaay too much drone for me. I suggest you consider the Delta 50's with a balance pipe (H or X). Also run the tail pipes all the way out the back. You can hear my Delta 50's by clicking on the link below...

·
Registered
6,486 Posts
I fust bought a pair of 40s here in Sacramento for $100 each.
Jim

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
:) I stopped at a local muffler shop here in SoCal last week asking about the cost of Flowmaster 40's. The guy quoted me $140.00 each installed with new pipes out the back with new tips.
I plan to check a couple more shops to see what prices they have?

Don, aka.....the hamsman

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I don't think there is a "big difference"... I've had them all.. and the Delta 40's had waaaaay too much drone for me. I suggest you consider the Delta 50's with a balance pipe (H or X). Also run the tail pipes all the way out the back. You can hear my Delta 50's by clicking on the link below...
Sounds great but not quite loud enough for me :D a little drone doesn't scare me, especially considering I only drive my car on the weekends.

·
Registered
689 Posts
I've got 40s on mine, sounds great but WAYY Too much drone.

just sayin

·
Registered
4,984 Posts
Jemo, i have the magna flows on my 55 and i love em. Mello tone and no inside noise, yet there is a good tone out back.

·
Registered
90 Posts
mufflers

My 55 chevy has a muffler called Hooker aero chamber style. They sound great especially when going thuogh the gears and at idle. When the car is on the road 40-50-60mph you don't hear the mufflers at all. Great muffler. None can compare. I have flowmaster super 44's on my street rod drone at 45-50 mph. I think something is wrong with the size of the pipe I am using on that car.

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
52,805 Posts
I don't think there is a "big difference"... I've had them all
I have Flowmasters that were installed by the previous owner....How can I tell if they are 40's or 50's?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts