Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just had my Delta 50's installed and they sound almost identical to the Dynomax Super Turbos that were on the car before, I'm really confused. Do the Delta 50 series Flowmasters have a break in period, do they get louder the more you drive the car, or is the sound I'm currently hearing the end result? I also have a Roller Camshaft on the car, wondering if that might be preventing it from having the hot rod roar that I'm looking for. I'm still learning more and more about the car, so forgive me if I seem not quite as knowledgible as others on this site. Could the catalytic converter be quieting it down as well? Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If you want it louder I would say yes.
Just called the guy that installed the mufflers and he said that he doesn't think the car has a catalytic converter. He also said that the mufflers take a few weeks to break in, and that they will get louder. Could the roller camshaft maybe be the problem, in addition to giving the mufflers some time to break in... Wondering what type of cams you guys use. I want my car to have a throaty sound, and right now it doesn't at all, it's more of a deep rumbling tone.

·
Registered
37,967 Posts
I don't know what you have for a roller camshaft, you didn't say other than it was a roller - but roller cams don't make the exhaust quieter.

I find it hard to believe that a Flowmaster is going to change in a short time. All they have inside them is steel baffles. They don't change unless they rust out. That's a long time coming.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I bought the car 6 months ago, so I don't know the specific type of roller camshaft that it has. What makes no sense to me is how the Delta 50's sound identical to the Dynomax Super Turbos that were on the car before, which makes me think that there's something else on the car that's preventing it from really opening up and having the throaty sound that I'm looking for.

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
If you want 'roar" you could always install electric cutouts before the mufflers behind the headers, the exhaust and sound is dumped before the mufflers...believeyoume it is LOUD and with a rumbly cam sounds evil and nasty. Flip the switch close 'em up and you're "legal" again....

I think I know the type of sound your after if you've heard other hot cars be they tri-fives or? many guys will run glaspaks rather than Flowmasters or Dynomax...gives and engine a whole different sound.

·
Registered
689 Posts
No break in for flowmasters. Your car should not have a cat under it either unless it is late model EFI system of some sort that the previous owner done.

Did you run the exhaust all the way to the back bumper? Mine are dumped about mid way and sounds pretty healthy - I have the LT4 roller cam in my mild ZZ4 motor.

·
Registered
256 Posts
No break in. Those are some of the quieter flowmasters. You will make more power now.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I think I know the type of sound your after if you've heard other hot cars be they tri-fives or? many guys will run glaspaks rather than Flowmasters or Dynomax...gives and engine a whole different sound.
This is the exact type of sound I'm looking for.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8WzKgzfrEOM

Did you listen to the audios on the Flowmaster site?
Yes I did, I went 55Mike's recommendation

Just got home from driving it again, the more I drive the louder it gets!!! I got under the car and looked, no catalytic converter. To answer Mike's question....I'm running 3" pipes from the headers to the mufflers, then 2.5" all the way back to the rear bumper with chrome tips tilting downward. The mufflers are mounted about half a foot in front of the rear axel, with an H pipe more towards the front of the car. I will say.....they are awesome looking, they're the Delta 50's "Slim" edition (pic below), not as bulky as the original Delta 50's

·
Registered
3,392 Posts
This is the exact type of sound I'm looking for.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8WzKgzfrEOM

Yes I did, I went 55Mike's recommendation

Just got home from driving it again, the more I drive the louder it gets!!! I got under the car and looked, no catalytic converter. To answer Mike's question....I'm running 3" pipes from the headers to the mufflers, then 2.5" all the way back to the rear bumper with chrome tips tilting downward. The mufflers are mounted about half a foot in front of the rear axel, with an H pipe more towards the front of the car. I will say.....they are awesome looking, they're the Delta 50's "Slim" edition (pic below), not as bulky as the original Delta 50's

I suspect you will continue to like them even more with time.

·
Registered
722 Posts
low compression will give you a quieter sound. Not a worn out motor mind you. low static compression. an 8 to 1 will be way less agressive than say a 12 to 1 motor sound wise

·
Registered
418 Posts
Having headers or not will really change the sound as well. Flowmasters definitely don't "break in" as everyone has said.

FWIW, my 57 has manifolds and I don't care for the sound it has. Kind of a "muffly" sound. I'll get headers at some point.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Having headers or not will really change the sound as well. Flowmasters definitely don't "break in" as everyone has said.

FWIW, my 57 has manifolds and I don't care for the sound it has. Kind of a "muffly" sound. I'll get headers at some point.
I have S & S headers

P.S. Mike check your PM's

1 - 17 of 17 Posts