Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I backed my '55 out to work on some odds and ends today and noticed a little bit of fluid in the shape of my rear tire tread in the garage. When I inspected the rear tire I did notice oil/brake fluid on the rear drum. Could this only be brake fluid or could it be from the rear drive train? I smelled it and it smelt like normal oil so not sure....I didn't have time to pull the tire off and inspect inside the drum. I did check the brake fluid reservoir and it looks fine so even if it is leaking it is a very small leak(but obviously don't want to ignore it being that is could involve the brakes).

Any input is always appreciated.

Thanks,

Hank

·
Registered
43 Posts
Agree with Chevynut and you. PULL the rear tire & drum. It's most likely a leaking wheel cylinder. Pull back the rubber on the wheel cylinder and if fluid is present it's time for a repair.

$20, a little brake fluid, an extra foot and a little time you should be fine. Not to mention your piece of mind having brakes when step on the pedal; the alternative is not having brakes when you step on the pedal (NOT GOOD).

I've always told my boys; if you can't stop it, don't start it!!!

Good Luck!!!

·
Registered
582 Posts
Could might as well be a bad rear axle bearing, so oil from the axle housing comes out into the brake drum. Happened to me last year.

·
Registered
1956 Belair Sedan, Resto-Mod, Many Upgrades
722 Posts
Be advised...if you replace anything in the leaking wheel cylinder side...you need to do the same to the other side...why? Because the one you fix will be able to take more pressure than the other side, and then it will blow and soak the linings.

Most ninety weight oils I know don't puddle (unless you pour it out of the jug)...it usually slings it around the inside of the tire/wheel...if that is the case, you will have to get a new axle wheel bearing that has the O Ring seal on it, plus you need to change the gasket between the backing plate and the axle housing.

Rods56

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
I don't think you could mistake the smell of rear end lube compared to brake fluid. Wipe the tire with a clean paper towel and smell it. If it's rear end lube you'll know it when you smell it... Yuck!!

Don

1 - 8 of 8 Posts