Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well it`s been a long couple of months,
Just finished up on winter project cars and started on the 57` 150 sedan.
Spent the winter months gathering parts,
1963 vette 327, Dual quad edlebrock twin 600cfm, Long tube headers, Scorpion roller rockers, m21 wide ratio From 1967 Camaro , 4:56 posi rear with coke bottle Americans.

She should Scream :burnout:but after all the work tried to start her today and nothing..... Found i switched the wires on the starter. Corrected that and then.... Nothing but the starter spinning?????

After thinking and coming to realize she wont wake up today , Figured I`d post a quick thread.

The bellhousing is the stock cast 57 , followed by the stock starter.
The problem seems to be the flywheel isn`t big enough! :confused0024:
it has the stock 1967 camaro clutch assembly.

Is there a significant size difference?:confused0024:
found the stock 57 flywheel and just by a quick look i`d say YES.
Now I need to drop it all again and start over !
Can someone guide me to the correct path so I don`t ruin my summer and leave her in the barn:p3:
mean while i can get to the new floor rubber and look to install some rear seat belts.:bowtier:

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
55,387 Posts
There are two flywheels commonly used....A 153 tooth and a 168 tooth(14" diameter).....Using the stock bell housing, you will need the 168 tooth.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you for the prompt answers, :congrats:
I`ll get to work this week on it and get some pictures posted after it is corrected.bowtie-trifive

·
Premium Member
1956 chevy 210 del rey sedan
15,014 Posts
why not just pot the 67 camaro starter on it? Or a mini starter? would be easier than the flywheel to change.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That`s a good option, Will the stock bellhousing be an issue then due to the bolt up ?
I have no cross bar for the tail of trans i`m using the stock mounts.

I`ll do some homework and look into it.

In the pic is the 67 bellhousing that was changed after it was dropped in the car to the 1957 bellhouse.

·
55,387 Posts
why not just pot the 67 camaro starter on it? Or a mini starter? would be easier than the flywheel to change.
Block mount starters will interfere with the cast iron bellhousing......You can use the block mounted starter, but you will have to cut away the portion of the bellhousing (shown below) that intefers with the starter....Also, from what I understand, the starter will have to have a cast iron nose.

·
Premium Member
16,824 Posts
Block mount starters will interfere with the cast iron bellhousing.

You can use the block mounted starter, but you will have to cut away the portion of the bell that intefers with the starter

Also, from what I understand, the starter will have to have a cast iron nose.
The picture he posted has what is clearly not a cast iron bell housing so another starter should cure his problem. :tu

·
Registered
270 Posts
The picture he posted has what is clearly not a cast iron bell housing so another starter should cur his problem. :tu
I agree. The picture looks like an aluminum bellhousing, like one that would be on the Camaro.
You couldn't be using the 57 starter OR bellhousing mounts with that bellhousing.
Color me confused????

On another note, are you positive the stater solenoid is pushing the bendix drive out?

·
55,387 Posts
The picture he posted has what is clearly not a cast iron bell housing so another starter should cur his problem. :tu
I agree. The picture looks like an aluminum bellhousing, like one that would be on the Camaro.
You couldn't be using the 57 starter OR bellhousing mounts with that bellhousing.
Color me confused????
In the pic is the 67 bellhousing that was changed after it was dropped in the car to the 1957 bellhouse.
Another possibility may be to use a mini-starter....Howver, someone with more experience will have to chime-in on that

·
55,387 Posts
Looking at the picture you posted, I don't know if a larger flywheel will fit that housing.
The bellhousing was changed to a 57 after that photo.

Another possibility may be to use a mini-starter....However, someone with more experience will have to chime-in on that

·
55,387 Posts
Why would you post a picture of something other than what you are trying to figure out a problem with? :dontknow:
Don-noh Bruce.....What about a mini starter?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.