Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
27,726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It says any subject .

One of two flying single blade J-2 cubs

"This is super interesting and totally bizarre, so I did a little research. The idea is that a single blade would be more efficient than multiple blades because the single blade is always travelling through undisturbed air. The propeller is counterweighted and mounted eccentrically on the hub to keep it balanced. It also has fore-aft pivot so the prop pitch self-adjusts to the most efficient angle - you can move the tip of the blade forward and back several inches with your hand.
Apparently the design worked; in 1939 the Everel prop was tested on a Taylorcraft in a race and won by quite a bit. However, shortly after the introduction of the prop, powerful 50HP engines were developed which rendered the efficiency gains of the single blade moot. Considering that the balance of the prop was very fickle in changing weather, the already mechanical complex prop just wasn't worth the effort, so the design never caught on."
It's a nifty bit of engineering and a cool piece of history.

Friend sent this to me. Thought I would share. Mike

Attachments

·
Registered
27,726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Guys you mean I FINALLY found something that people did not know? WOW? LOL Mike

·
Registered
67,738 Posts
thanks for sharing. :tu ......... would you ever get in a plane with half a prop, not this cowboy. :damnmate:

·
Registered
8,875 Posts
It says any subject .

One of two flying single blade J-2 cubs

"This is super interesting and totally bizarre, so I did a little research. The idea is that a single blade would be more efficient than multiple blades because the single blade is always travelling through undisturbed air. The propeller is counterweighted and mounted eccentrically on the hub to keep it balanced. It also has fore-aft pivot so the prop pitch self-adjusts to the most efficient angle - you can move the tip of the blade forward and back several inches with your hand.
Apparently the design worked; in 1939 the Everel prop was tested on a Taylorcraft in a race and won by quite a bit. However, shortly after the introduction of the prop, powerful 50HP engines were developed which rendered the efficiency gains of the single blade moot. Considering that the balance of the prop was very fickle in changing weather, the already mechanical complex prop just wasn't worth the effort, so the design never caught on."
It's a nifty bit of engineering and a cool piece of history.

Friend sent this to me. Thought I would share. Mike
That a new one on me. Thanks for shareing

·
Registered
709 Posts
wow, this is very interesting, thank you for posting

my dad owned several J-3 Cubs of early to mid 1940s vintage, planes that I grew up with

never knew about this

also wasn't aware that Piper made a J-2

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
I have flown RC airplanes for years.... thats how most of my props end up looking after a while.

Gil

·
Registered
555 Posts
As a youngster , I built many a Model , first rubber band powered and later with .049 engines. I do recall an illustration of the particular free flight model I was building and it had a counterweighted single blade prop . I checked with the guy at the hobby shop and ended up with a regular two blade.I never knew that a real airplane used a single blade , interesting !

·
Registered
8,875 Posts
I have flown RC airplanes for years.... thats how most of my props end up looking after a while.

Gil
Been there done that :sign0020:

·
Registered
Auckland, New Zealand
7,800 Posts
I know it obviously worked, but it sure doesn't look right!

·
Registered
37,250 Posts
Well if it was so great, why didn't the concept stick?

I don't buy into the changing balance with weather.

I'm not saying it won't work, just that over time it wasn't recognized to work better.

My thought is that it's down on thrust relative to multiple blades. So it's not more efficient if that's the case. Maybe more efficient per blade.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts