Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I guess you can call it a lock. Oh yes, most innocent times back then. Did not need to use a nuclear option to protect your car. However, if one decides to venture into removing and replacing the vent window lock(?) Its not difficult. Its just so frigging time consuming. I would not have done mine if it did not look like it was on the car for over 55 years, which it most likely was. Gezzz. Taking it out of the window, stripping it down. Removing the glass.(easy way is to put it under hot tap water for a few seconds.) It loosens up that ancient setting material. Cleaning it. Removing rust. Painting it. Installing the vent glass back in the frame. Waiting for the glue stuff to dry. Cleaning the cranking mechanism and finding out that you need to replace all the other guts in the door because they fell down into the door when I was taking off the vent parts. After this post, I am finally going to be able to install all of it back into the door. One more to go. Although, it will be much easier as I know some of the tricks now. I replaced the rears a year ago. Piece of cake.

·
Registered
68,272 Posts
nice going, thanks for tips max. :tu

·
Registered
19,595 Posts
Mine need to be redone too... Thanks for the tip... Later, Dave

·
Registered
3,695 Posts
You left out "eliminating" them. When I replated my '40 I eliminated them byt weldinbg the holes closed. Also, on my '55 I did the same, but have yet to get them chromed. They don't really do anything since you can't back drive the crank mechanism.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts