Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK guys I searched for info on this before I posted. 1955 stock 6 cyl and it has a coolant leak that looks like its leaking just behind the timing gears. More specifically between what I am calling the timing gears backing plate and the block. I got it all apart and I just can't see where the leak is. Anyone know of or remember this what looks to be a common thing and what exactly is going on?
On a side note what kinda F'ed up crap is that where you have to remove the oil pan --- the less the valves springs and keepers WHOLE valve train JUST to get to a few front of the engines gaskets? Seriously was it that bad back in the day?
I restored the car enough to make the family happy NOW what 2 three years later? I had to take it out of mothballs for a wedding. I apologize now for not prepairing it for long term storage. I just thought I would drive it once in a while. But didn't.

http://s822.photobucket.com/user/BMWknowitall/media/DSCN0490_zps47ae541d.jpg.html?filters[user]=109078235&filters[recent]=1&sort=1&o=4

:p3:

·
Administrator
66,076 Posts
You have me interested now to also find out.

Not sure of any water passages down that low, the only area is further up behind the water pump area.

·
Premium Member
15,880 Posts
Hard to tell now that it is apart but if I had to guess I would say your leak was from the water pump and running down to the bottom of the mounting plate. There is nothing between that plate and the block that should leak antifreeze. I would put it back together with a new pump, gaskets and sealer on all the bolts, Your leak will likely be gone. :anim_25:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
fixed

Short version it was the water pump gasket.:sign0020:
LONG version. I looked at the usual places weep holes hoses waterneck all that and it LOOKED to me it was coming from in back of the timing gear backing plate. I call a 60 year old friend and said "your old why does my 55 belaire look like there is coolant coming from in back of the funny plate behind the timing gears" He said as I recall the backing plate corrodes away and it leaks coolant" So away I went on BAD information. What happened it the timing cover and the water pump is so close and the lip of the timing cover (front) is so oddly shaped coolant can travel along it and not be seen. I was optically fooled so to speak. But on the bright side the oil pan was packed with sludge and the gaskets were pretty old and looked to be failing in the oil holding in department. The only other thing I found interesting is how you just hammer on the balancer. On the usual cars I work on if you don't bolt down the balancer to 300 FT LBS it will fall off. With the Chevy ots 10 good blows with the big snapon dead blow and its on.

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts