Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
'57 210 4dr sedan 383/700R4
993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have a 383/700R4 in front of the original 10-bolt 6-cyl rear end. So far the rear end is holding up pretty well but I'm afraid that if I ever really hammer it, the original rear end is going to call it quits. I'm wondering which rear ends others here have used and how well they've stood up to high torque (425-450 ft lbs?)? It isn't raced but is built for highway use. However, I also enjoy driving a vehicle which can handle freeway on-ramps with aplomb. What has been your experience with 12-bolts, 9" or 8.8" Fords? Inquiring minds want to know!

·
Premium Member
2,946 Posts
If you do have a 700r4 built by a local shop insist they use a later model core with the auxiliary valve body which makes it a 4l60 not (4l60e) easy to identify by a casting mark on the side of the case & even better a K case that is heavier & were used in 4wd units. The U shaped casting line on the side of the case below is a easy way to identify it's a late unit it would have a big K cast in the case if it were also from a 4wd unit but those require a 2wd output shaft & tailhousing.You might keep a eye out for a 700r4 4l60 core they come up on Craigslist or Facebook Marketplace from time to time then have it rebuilt & upgraded for higher HP.Once done you could swap out the 400 & sell it which probably would pay for the core unit at least.
Automotive lighting Font Screenshot Graphics software Multimedia

·
Registered
4,937 Posts
We have a 383/700R4 in front of the original 10-bolt 6-cyl rear end. So far the rear end is holding up pretty well but I'm afraid that if I ever really hammer it, the original rear end is going to call it quits. I'm wondering which rear ends others here have used and how well they've stood up to high torque (425-450 ft lbs?)? It isn't raced but is built for highway use. However, I also enjoy driving a vehicle which can handle freeway on-ramps with aplomb. What has been your experience with 12-bolts, 9" or 8.8" Fords? Inquiring minds want to know!
You do not have a 10 bolt they came out min 1964. 12 Bolts are great and should not be discussed with Ford Junk, I run 9.3 Olds and Dana 60s in my cars.

·
Premium Member
993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
any issues with your 700 r4? i'm debating a swap from my TH400 to a 700 R4 to get OD gear and do a gear swap at the same time.
No issues at all. Had it built by a local shop with good references. They even set the TV cable properly after I installed it; I'd do it all over again in a heartbeat. Used to have a 6-cyl/PG and it was dangerous on freeway on ramps.

·
Registered
1956 Chevy Bel Air Post 350 sbc with turbo 400
155 Posts
No issues at all. Had it built by a local shop with good references. They even set the TV cable properly after I installed it; I'd do it all over again in a heartbeat. Used to have a 6-cyl/PG and it was dangerous on freeway on ramps.

Good to hear. I think it's the simplest solution for me. I have a th400 but want more gear in the rear and to do that I'll need OD. The prior owner did a hack job to get 3.08s in the factory housing. So, now I'm dealing with it and considering a gear swap and 700 r4 trans. Looking to take my 350ntonroughly 400 hp so I thi k a food build on a 700 r4 should handle that just fine.

Other options wer a 200 r4, 4L60e, gear vendor for my th400 etc.

I think the 700 r4 built right is the simplest solution.

·
Premium Member
993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Good to hear. I think it's the simplest solution for me. I have a th400 but want more gear in the rear and to do that I'll need OD. The prior owner did a hack job to get 3.08s in the factory housing. So, now I'm dealing with it and considering a gear swap and 700 r4 trans. Looking to take my 350ntonroughly 400 hp so I thi k a food build on a 700 r4 should handle that just fine.

Other options wer a 200 r4, 4L60e, gear vendor for my th400 etc.

I think the 700 r4 built right is the simplest solution.
A properly built 700R4 will easily handle 400HP. I haven't used a 200R4 but I'm told they too can handle 400HP but it would take a bit more building than the 700R4 to do that.

·
Registered
3,905 Posts
8.8 Ford is a GM 12 bolt...was educated on that here btw.

I'm not a 9" fan, but they are affordable from quick performance.

12 bolts can be expensive,

If I were to mail order a rear end, I'd get a Strange S60

·
Registered
3,905 Posts
A properly built 700R4 will easily handle 400HP. I haven't used a 200R4 but I'm told they too can handle 400HP but it would take a bit more building than the 700R4 to do that.
A 200 can be built to handle much more than a 400. Search The Real Art Carr on that.

Gran National and SyTy guys use this transmission btw

Article below outlines the huge weakness of 700 and superiority of the 200.

You will ultimately break a 700 with any real power unless you drop money in it.

·
Registered
365 Posts
The best bang for the buck is a Ford 8.8 from an Explorer with disc brakes. It's not exactly a 12 bolt with a Ford name on it, but it's the same style. For a 12 bolt, you would need one from an early Camaro or Nova, and those bring big money. 8.8, 12 bolt, 9 inch ford and the 8.5" GM 10 bolt (not the 8.2" 10 bolt) all would be more than adequate at your power level.

·
Registered
3,426 Posts
I have an 8.8 in my '56 with a ~550 HP/torque 421 SBC and am running a Muncie M20 4 speed. I'm much more worried about the M20 than the rear end. It's from a 1997 Explorer...the 8.8 out of the Explorer, with the trac-loc and 31 spline axles, will handle a 383 with an auto no problem in stock form. I've run it with DOT legal drag tires (MT E/T Streets) too...it didn't skip a beat.

Otherwise, I think a 9" from Quick Performance is the next best option budget wise although a Strange 12 bolt would get some consideration too.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
I've been running an LS2 and 6L80 in front of a stock 57 rear end for 4 years. It doesn't get an easy life and no problems whatsoever. It is fitted with a posi.

If you don't have a posi fitted, I would be concerned also, but with a posi, I would keep on driving. :)

·
Registered
🐔County, TN. 55 Bel Air Sport Coupe
10,893 Posts
I have a 12 bolt with a bit over 400hp and god knows how much torque. Back some time ago I beat the living hell out of it and it didn't break. Then with slicks on the track a launch is about the most abuse it can get and it held up.

A while ago something did break, but not really anything to do with HP. Had to do with the posi and spinning only one wheel.

Although I'd think that if you don't abuse it on a regular basis, the 8.8 would be fine. Seems to be for a lot of guys here.

·
Registered
155 Posts
A 200 can be built to handle much more than a 400. Search The Real Art Carr on that.

Gran National and SyTy guys use this transmission btw

Article below outlines the huge weakness of 700 and superiority of the 200.

You will ultimately break a 700 with any real power unless you drop money in it.

Art Carr is on my list to talk to for sure.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I've been running an LS2 and 6L80 in front of a stock 57 rear end for 4 years. It doesn't get an easy life and no problems whatsoever. It is fitted with a posi.

If you don't have a posi fitted, I would be concerned also, but with a posi, I would keep on driving. :)

no posi in the rear.

·
Registered
155 Posts
The best bang for the buck is a Ford 8.8 from an Explorer with disc brakes. It's not exactly a 12 bolt with a Ford name on it, but it's the same style. For a 12 bolt, you would need one from an early Camaro or Nova, and those bring big money. 8.8, 12 bolt, 9 inch ford and the 8.5" GM 10 bolt (not the 8.2" 10 bolt) all would be more than adequate at your power level.
good thought for sure. I'm debating if i do something like this or have a 9" built for it and be done with it. That way if my power goals change down the road, i'm good.

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
With an auto, id submit tires have as much to do with your rear end’s survival as does power. With something like BFGs, if you’re happy with the gearing and without a posi, id say run what you got. If you want to drag radials, its life my be short. Or if you want posi or different gears, changing the assembly might make sense.
8.8 is a good rear. I had perhaps 100 11 second passes on drag radials with mine, and that was the weaker 28 spline (explorers are 31 spline). The width on the explorer rear ends is right, but the pinion is offset (might present an issue if car is lowered). Prices are good, and service parts are out there. It can become a bit of a science project, and at that point a 9 inch built to suit makes sense.
Ford, Chevy or Mopar- none of them ever gave me anything- use what’s out there and makes sense and I wouldn’t worry about which company built it.

·
Premium Member
930 Posts
You do not have a 10 bolt they came out min 1964. 12 Bolts are great and should not be discussed with Ford Junk, I run 9.3 Olds and Dana 60s in my cars.
x2 on the 9.3" Pontiac/Olds '57-64 rear ends. I have a '62 Olds 9.3 that was already installed (poorly) in my 55 when it came to me as a rolling shell. I stripped off the poorly-welded weekend-warrior-angle-iron-traction-bars and rebuilt it with 3.90 gears (posi of course), welded on new spring perches, added disc brakes in back.

Bulletproof unit that will more than handle the the 440hp my engine throws at it.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts